WnSoft Forums

My First MAC

JEB

Hi Mac Users,

I have just taken the plunge and purchased a Mac with Parallels and Windows 7 (for PTE).

I am about to start transferring files (images and music) over to the Mac but am uncertain what file management system I should use. I have played with Adobe Bridge when I used CS and more recently Organizer now that I use PSE9. I find the W7 “Libraries” set up just as confusing so as often as not return to simple Windows Explorer. I suspect that I am guilty of not persevering with Organizer and may well adopt that method. However I know nothing about Mac options so thought I should ask if anybody has any experiences or opinions they would like to pass on.

Regards

John

I am about to start transferring files (images and music) over to the Mac but am uncertain what file management system I should use. I have played with Adobe Bridge when I used CS and more recently Organizer now that I use PSE9. I find the W7 “Libraries” set up just as confusing so as often as not return to simple Windows Explorer. I suspect that I am guilty of not persevering with Organizer and may well adopt that method. However I know nothing about Mac options so thought I should ask if anybody has any experiences or opinions they would like to pass on.

I use Adobe Lightroom. It runs on both Mac and PC.

Hi Mac Users,

I have just taken the plunge and purchased a Mac with Parallels and Windows 7 (for PTE).

Regards

John

Hi John,

I am just about in the same position. My Mac arrives next week. I will be contacting Adobe to transfer my CS5 Windows license to a Mac license and I guess the fun will begin then. The guy at the shop tells me files must be stored in a certain way so as to be accessible on both Windows ans Mac platforms so I will need to get this sorted out pretty quicky.

Will keep my eye on this topic and hope to learn from the experts!

All the best

TC

Hi all,

Still in the midst of transferring everything over to the mac, having an issue with the backing up to the Time Capsule so not undertaking many new things till that is resolved.

My thinking presently is that I should go with Organiser. I like much of what Picasa has to offer but feel that it might be more seamless using Organiser. My use of PS is limited and now that I have PSE9 it caters for most of my needs. I did use PS3 at one time but found it more than I needed.

Crossfade. - I did in the past wonder if Lightroom would have been an all in one solution but that now would be I suspect a duplication of my investment for presumably few additional benefits - unless you can convince me to the contrary!

Thanks all for your input. I'm always interested in other peoples experiences.

Regards

John

I am just about in the same position. My Mac arrives next week. I will be contacting Adobe to transfer my CS5 Windows license to a Mac license and I guess the fun will begin then.

no charge, other than the cost for shipping of the discs.

The guy at the shop tells me files must be stored in a certain way so as to be accessible on both Windows ans Mac platforms so I will need to get this sorted out pretty quicky.

they don't. All you need to do is put the files on a shared drive.

Crossfade. - I did in the past wonder if Lightroom would have been an all in one solution but that now would be I suspect a duplication of my investment for presumably few additional benefits - unless you can convince me to the contrary!

what duplication? If you already have Lightroom for Windows, you can legally run a second copy on a Mac. Unlike Photoshop, you can mix systems. If you don't have Lightroom, you only need to buy one copy.

Crossfade,

No, I don't have a copy. I did, a few years ago, have the opportunity of playing with it and thought it a possible alternative to CS3 or rather I think it was CS2 at that time. Since then I have been using Elements and have recently purchased E9 (this is the "investment" I am referring to). Lightroom would have to have some considerable additional benefits to justify its purchase now. I have to admit that I have really forgotten most of what I knew of the product and why it impressed me at that time. I will have a dig.

Regards

John