WnSoft Forums

LAKELAND 2008-2010

David Porter

This is a complete re-make of photos taken in 2008 and 2010 with, hopefully, some improvements in photos and presentation. A bit longer than usual but I have been encouraged by Maureen and by Jose's recent work, so if you get bored you can blame them. If not, then comments and suggestions will be gratefully received.

Third one down on my A/V Page

This is a complete re-make of photos taken in 2008 and 2010 with, hopefully, some improvements in photos and presentation. A bit longer than usual but I have been encouraged by Maureen and by Jose's recent work, so if you get bored you can blame them. If not, then comments and suggestions will be gratefully received.

Third one down on my A/V Page

Hi Mick,

Ok, I'm happy, I think nobody will blaim me for having encouraged you...

Yes, I just saw your actual "LAKELAND 2008-2010" (I didn't see former version) and soon I will see your other published PTE projects.

Great, and most enjoyable, mainly because of excellent photo quality and landscape beauty.

At this point, I think I wouldn't be honest with you (and myself) if I didn't point out some details... which I would care of if I was the slideshow author.

In fact I am not, and I am nobody to allow myself teaching you anything!

Anyhow, you asked for comments.

So, let me put things this way: in case I was the author, and having such excelent photos of such beautiful landscape:

- I would choose another music, it could be classic, ok, but not so sad. After all, nobody was dying, the day was clear and sunny, gras was green and walkers were happy, why the funeral? I would choose a classic piece with a minimum rithm in order to pass a natural dynamic to the show (I saw the show twice to check if with this Bethoven Quartet this could be achieved. Impossible, no rithm at all)

- With this Quartet or not, I would always give some movement to each image (pan or zoom). In case of this kind of landscape zooming, never zoom-in, always zoom-out, a big and slow one now and then.

- When zooming or panning, unless the start or end are faded, always start or end with zero speed (example: 0% - 100% - 0%, beeing 100% in the midle).

- I would make shorter fades in transitions. I think you used 4 and 5 seconds transitions, and due to the almost static images, the "indefinition period" takes a too long time beeing such kind of movement (images are changing) not too much nice. In case images were moving (zooming or panning) long transitions were more acceptable because people were distracted with images movement.

- I would try to mix general viewes with details, not only general landscapes. For this, it would be necessary respective photos.

In conclusion, I would say that I consider SlideShows as a kind of cinema where images are time-stoped. This does not mean that the full dynamic of cinema should be lost, only treated in a quite specific way. And beeing a SlideShow an audio-visual show (just like cinema) to be seen by people, both audio and visual aspects should try to "imitate" (let us say...) the cinema.

In my "Um dia... em Agosto", I could simply show the same landscapes, the same train, etc., with a simple any kind of music in the background. I would be wrong, I would say. On the contrary, I tried to follow "cinema way" and I think it's better like this.

Sorry, Mick, I am not quite sure about your acceptance of all this theory of mine, so, I apologize for that.

At least, I have been honest!

Best regards,

Jose

Thank you for the kind comments.

Jose,

Thank you so much for spending time to offer such helpful comments and even though I might, at the moment, not agree with then all, they will be tucked away in the memory for future use.

Everybody has different reasons for producing Slideshows (A/V’s) and I suppose at the top of the list for me is to showcase my photography. So I want most of my photos to be shown in the composition I have decided and not cropped by panning and zooming. Where I use pan and zoom it is for a specific reason – the zoom-in on the hillside was to indicate that that was where I was going and the next photo was from the top of the hill.

The music I chose, I thought was restful rather than sad and the slow transitions I thought added to that restful feeling. However, some others did not like the music, so I will look again. I did use the “smooth” button on the pan and zooms, which is supposed to give the effect of starting and finishing at zero speed but may not be obvious as I have faded into and out of these frames.

I agree, I should take more detail shots to mix in with the landscapes – difficult to remember when confronted with such scenery.

I doubt that I have the artistic capability or the attention span to produce a show like “Um dia – em Agosto but this is all part of a leaning process and your work and comments are part of that.

Many thanks,

Mick.