WnSoft Forums

Need help

Hlooker

Hi, Hlooker,

Welcome to the Forum!

You have to create the icon separately. I used PTE for a year before I even tried to set one up.

You can create one by resizing a bitmap image (bmp or tiff) down to 32 x 32 pixels (for large icons), or 16 x 16 pixels (for taskbar icons).

You also need to reduce the colour depth to 256 colours before you will be able to convert the bitmap to an ".ico" file acceptable to PTE (using Photoshop or IrfanView, etc.).

Then, just enter the file name and path (or browse for it) in Project Options.

Al

I don't think you can create a *.ico file direct from a prepared 32x32 in Photoshop. I follow your path then create the icon in Irfanview. Correct me if I am wrong, I always appreciate what you have to say on the Forum. Your PTE 101 Tutorial was a masterpiece.

Ron [uK]

How to make your icons with the free IrfanView.

Open your image with IrfanView.

Change the size to 32x32 pixels.

In "Image" menu and choose "Decrease the color depth"

to 16 colors (or 256 color).

Save the image as ico file but add 32 to the name

so you can distinguish later between the icons.

Go through the same steps for 48 pixels saving the

ico file, add 48 to the name.

Ron,

I don't think you can create a *.ico file direct from a prepared 32x32 in Photoshop.

Yes, but you first have to convert it to "Indexed Mode" and resize it to 32 x 32 pixels. Then you will find an ".ico" option in "save as". :)

Sorry Al, I have not been able to do what you say. Cannot find use of ico extension anywhere in Photoshop. Can you give me some further directions please? I am using Version 7.01.

Ron [uK]

Boxig

I am not insisting on Photoshop merely querying what Al had to say earlier in this thread. I do use Irfanview for my icons.

Ron [uK]

Cannot find use of ico extension anywhere in Photoshop.   Can you give me some further directions please?   I am using Version 7.01.

Hi, Ron,

That's strange - it works for me. I am using version 7.0. I don't think it's a special plug-in. You do have to convert to "indexed mode". I guess I neglected to add "and select 256 colours". Then resize. The ".ico" option should be there, right at the bottom of "save as".

Al

I have my 32x32 256 colors image open in Photoshop. I select Image>Mode>Indexed Color then where do I go. If I use Help>Search there is no response either to icon or ico. I think maybe you are right as regards a plug-in, unless someone else can throw some light on the mystery.

Ron [uK}

Ron,

Try something else first. Click on "File / Open" and see if you have an "ico" file option there. If so, then you must also have the "File / Save as" ico option. If not, then there must be something missing in your version of Photoshop.

I'll list all the steps for creating once more, just in case you are missing something.

Open the image (either tiff or jpeg), and resize it to 32 x 32. Choose "Image / Mode / Indexed colour", and make sure that "256 colours" is selected. Click OK. Now, Choose "File / Save as", and you should see the "Windows Icon (*.ico)" option at the bottom of the window, just below the "TIFF" option.

By the way, you don't have to change the image to "Indexed Mode" and 252 colours in order to see the "save as Icon" option - just to make it compatible with PTE.

Al

Tried File>Open - no *.ico. Otherwise I have been doing exactly as you said and still no *.ico. As I pointed out even with a search my version of Photoshop doesn't recognise ico. Maybe it is because my version was purchased from Adobe (UK). I have 55 *.ico files in my Icon folder and none will open in Photoshop. I hope other members of the forum reading this with Photoshop 7.01 might check. Until then remains a mystery.

Ron [uK]

Ron,

Im not sure of v7.01 PS file format options ... but older versions of PS and PSP required a icon plugin.

I may still have the one for version 5.5 PS ... but it may not work in newer versions. You might try a search or find out from another forum such as :

The Plugin Site Forum

http://www.graphicsgalaxy.com/forums/thepl...nsite/index.php

Well, I have no idea where it came from but my PS 7 does handle icon files. Maybe I got an enhanced version the last time I upgraded!? :unsure:

So, to be sure, I loaded PS7 onto my laptop, and sure enough, no icon files!!

A plugin for Photoshop is available HERE, apparently.

Thanks again Al and Stu I can now create my icons direct from Photoshop instead of going via Irfanview. I hope the initiator of this thread, Hlooker, has benefited from theses exchanges.

Ron [uK]