WnSoft Forums

Just a Simple Birthday Card

Lin Evans

Hey David,

It's been a while!

I threw him a fish - LOL. Actually, since a few versions ago, PTE has had the ability to incorporate animated GIF's. There are all types of animated GIF files out there from pretty rudimentary to quite sophisticated. Some of the software allows taking a video and converting it to an animated GIF. I suspect that the process involves first breaking it into separate jpg files, then removing the background and substituting transparency. This one was quite probably done that way since it is extremely fluid and anatomically accurate for flight right down to the shadow of the wings on the eagle's face each time it flaps the wing. The position of the sun on the eagle happened to match the position of the sun in the photo which adds to the realism, I think.

So in the future, when we need to get some realistic animation, we "can" drop in a video (coming in version 7), but also with software which allows conversion of video to animated GIF's, we can save lots of storage and system overhead and convert applicable video footage to animated GIF format. Of course we only have 256 colors with GIF (at least as far as I know), but for small objects or objects which are darker in nature, that's often enough. I think that the realism in our shows will be limited only by one's imagination and creativity in the years to come. Some of the smaller cameras coming out today such as the soon to be released Sony HX100V can, according to advertising, actually shoot in 3D. One of our French PTE users already creates PTE shows in 3D but they are done with twin cameras with synchronized shutters. This is not something that "everyone" is technically capable of doing, but this new Sony will make it easy and we should begin to see some interesting slideshows. A couple years ago I created some 3D shows with animation. Now when and if consumer "video" cameras are able to use the Sony technology, our PTE shows in the future might be something else indeed from a realism standpoint.

Best regards,

Lin

Thanks for the reply, Lin! The eagle is the smoothest animated GIF that I've seen. Of course, I don't get out much. :rolleyes: It's a great effect, and the animation beautifully fits your scenic view. Well done!

Yes, the prospect of new movie equipment with advanced features such as 3D is tittilating. Bring it onl I've long been a 3D fan and have accumulated much stereo equipment over the years.

I count on you to be poised on the cutting edge of PTE exploitation and ably to share your creativity. Keep up the good work!

David

Hi David,

There are actually some decent animations possible with gifs, but one must be discriminating since there are limited colors available. Certain scenes such as with clouds in the sky, etc., can be problematic, but you can actually get half-way decent results. Here's a little exercise I posted a couple weeks ago using animated GIF files...

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=12809

Best regards,

Lin

Thanks for the reply, Lin! The eagle is the smoothest animated GIF that I've seen. Of course, I don't get out much. :rolleyes: It's a great effect, and the animation beautifully fits your scenic view. Well done!

Yes, the prospect of new movie equipment with advanced features such as 3D is tittilating. Bring it onl I've long been a 3D fan and have accumulated much stereo equipment over the years.

I count on you to be poised on the cutting edge of PTE exploitation and ably to share your creativity. Keep up the good work!

David