WnSoft Forums

AGGRESSIVE NORTON SECURITY

MICK83

Norton Security will not let me load a PICS TO EXE AV from a pod on to my laptop Sonar detects a problem and puts it into the Waste Bin.How can I stop this the pod runs ok on my PC,its just when I try to load it on to my Laptop.??Please help anybody who can.

OCTAG (Yes I am 80+)

Mick,

Norton Sonar is, indeed, aggressive. It can be turned off through the Norton control panel - but that would expose you to a higher risk of infection.

If you are currently trying to copy the EXE file onto the laptop's desktop - don't! Try copying it into a folder. Alternatively, use the links in the Norton pop-up window to retrieve the file and to tell Norton to bypass checking on this particular file.

regards,

Peter

I had this problem and took the matter up with Norton. Their reply and solution is as below. (NB this proceedure refers to Norton 360 Anti Virus and may be different with other versions).

Norton reply:-

"I understand that the SONAR in your Norton program is stating that the Audio Visual Presentation exe files which was created by you are unsafe and deleting the files when tried to run them. We are really sorry for the inconvenience caused to you and sure I will help you in providing the details.

This issue occurs if the Norton program recognizes or suspects the file behavior as suspicious and will quarantine since it is unable to decide whether it is good or bad even though it is good software. Please accept our sincere apologies.

This is due to False Positives in Norton. False Positives occurs when your Norton product incorrectly alerts that a file is infected, or a program or Web site is suspicious. You can get more information and can submit your software in whitelist of known good software maintained by Symantec from the link below:

http://us.norton.com/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_type=public_web&ssfromlink=true&sprt_cid=e900dad8-6fc3-4707-ae03-66edf9fdaae0&seg=hho&ct=us&lg=en&docurl=20100222230832EN

NOTE: If clicking the link doesn’t open, please copy and paste it in the web browser and tap enter.

To resolve this issue, I request you to add the Audio Visual Presentation exe file to the scan exclusion list. For your convenience, I have added few simple steps to add the file to the Scan Exclusion list below. Please proceed with the steps and try to resolve the issue.

Scan Exclusion List for 360 4.0

1. Open the Norton 360.

2. Click Settings > Antivirus.

3. Click Scans and Risks tab.

4. Under Exclusion/Low Risks, click Configure [+] next to Scan Exclusions.

5. Under Scan Exclusions, click Add.

6. Browse and select the disk drive or folder or file you would like to exclude and click OK. If you want to include subfolders within the folder, check Include Subfolders.

7. Under Real Time Protection Exclusions, click Add.

8. Browse and select the disk drive or folder or file you would like to exclude and click OK. If you want to include subfolders within the folder, check Include Subfolders.

9. In the Scan Exclusions window, click Apply > OK.

10. In the Settings window, click Apply > Close.

Once you follow the steps provided, the file will not be removed by the Norton program anymore and you can run it in your computer. If you require additional assistance or still have some concerns, please contact us and we will be happy to assist you."

End of Norton reply

Hope this helps.

Regards

bwat