WnSoft Forums

AVI file with AC-3 sound?

MikeG

Hello there

I have a Panasonic plasma TV which could play HD videos from a stick. It does not accept the newer h.264 format, however it would accept the divx format in avi container.

So I downloaded an xvid encoder, it would show up in the list of codecs in PTE, and I did succesfully produce a 1080p-avi video and show it on the TV (excellent quality).

The problem is now - no sound! A web search revealed - the panasonic would accept AC-3 sound, or MPEG-1/Layer-2. I opted for the AC3ACM encoder, installed and registered it, but it does not show up in the list of encoders in PTE.

Has anyone a recommendation for me? How does PTE determine the installed audio encoders? How can I check the correct registration of encoders? Any other proposal?

Thanks, Mike.

Create the AVI with the Audio Codec "No Compression (PCM)". This will make the video a bit larger. If you are lucky, your TV will play it including audio! If not, use the free software "XMedia Recode" (www.xmedia-recode.de) in order to recode your AVI: For the video part choose "Video Copy", for the audio part choose "AC3" and appropriate other parameters (sample rate, bit rate). Take care of the filter tab and choose the correct resolution!

I normally use the Picture To Exe Video Codec to obtain a "virtual" AVI, and then use Xvid in connection with VirtualDub. This gives me an AVI, and I apply XMedia Recode to obtain an Xvid-encoded video inside the MP4-container. My TV from Samsung likes MP4/Xvid videos (being a bit larger) much more than MP4/H264.

Good luck!

Regards,

Xaver

Dear Xaver

Thanks for the explanation. I guessed there would be others with the same problem ...

I am on travel now and I will try your solution next weekend.

Nevertheless, the generation of the video in one step would be simpler. Your first proposal, sound without compression, did not work on my TV.

Regards, Mike.

MikeG

How can I check the correct registration of encoders?

To check and verify Windows has properly registered and enabled any audio or video codecs ... go to Control Panel and open Sounds and Audio Devices

Click Hardware tab and find the Audio Codecs and open its Properties. Find the named codec and open its Properties.

* Some codecs require you to set it up and configure for your intended needs.