WnSoft Forums

Create DVD

billbruen

I created a DVD with two slide shows on it....

One was 980 x 654 (for portraits) and one was 1920 x 1080 for landscapes.

The DVD works, but the aspect ratio doesn't change according to your menu selection (as I thought it would). It seems to just select one aspect ratio or the other during the creation phase. Is this a random selection?

No doubt this is due to my misunderstanding of DVD nuts and bolts.

I'm sure someone will be along to confirm, that what I'm trying to do is not possible?

billbruen,

PTE-VideoBuilder does not offer authoring of DVD's for multiple aspect ratio content.

The settings I believe you are refering to in Project Options ... will only set how to display the Menu you are using in your DVD.

See pg 72 of the User Guide.

Next you can choose Menu and Title aspect

ratio. The default for Menu aspect ratio is 4:3

for ordinary televisions, but you may also select

16:9 if you have new televisions such as LCD

or flat panel TV screens. The Aspect ratio for

them differs from the old ones. The default of

Title aspect ratio is Auto, but you may also

select 4:3 or 16:9. You should remember, that it

is the aspect ratio not for your slideshow, but

only for the menu and title.

Thanks for the comment nobeefstu, but perhaps I didn't make myself totally clear?

As I stated, I created two slideshow Projects with different aspect ratios: (980x654 and 1920x1080)

I expected my DVD to reflect these two different sizes on my TV: it didn't, and I couldn't understand why.....hence my question.

I couldn't quite get my head around your comment......why allow you to set different 'slide sizes' in the 'Show Project Options', if the 'DVD creation Project Options', was going to ignore that anyway?

We are not helped here, by the fact that Igor has two sets of 'Project Options': the slide show creation 'Project Options' and the DVD Creation 'Project Options'. Perhaps he would consider renaming one of these.

Anyway, some more thought and investigation, enabled me to find my error. In my 980x654 show, I should have ticked the 'Fixed size of slide (in pixels)' box. I normally leave this 'unticked' as all my shows are created for 1920x1080 TV screens.

My DVD now runs as I wanted/expected.

So, I think your comment that 'PTE-VideoBuilder does not offer authoring of DVD's for multiple aspect ration content', could be slightly misleading, to someone new to this game (as, indeed, I am). As you say, the 'DVD Creation Project Options', are for the Menu and Title only: but clearly, you can have the shows on the DVD, displayed in different ways on your TV.

The important thing for the punters reading this, is to understand that, PTE will burn you a DVD displaying the slideshows as you want, on your TV, providing you have selected the correct options in your 'slideshow creation Project Options'!! Too obvious to state maybe?

Thanks for making me think more deeply about my problem.

billbruen,

I assumed from your first post you were trying to make a DVD with multiple aspect ratio content ... which is mixing 4:3 and 16:9 modes on one disc.

DVD-lab Pro is a DVD authorng program which I use to achieve such results. Very few DVD authoring programs offer such feature. Heres a few details on DVD content as it relates to mixing aspect ratios.

Movie Aspect Ratio

http://www.mediachance.com/dvdlab/Helppro/aspect.htm

The answer to your problem is the same as for making 16:9 shows as H.264 MPEG shows for display on a WS HD TV.

Build everything on a 16:9 frame/background. Use a PNG mask to provide a "window" for whatever AR you choose.

Your Portrait show or a 4:3 would fit within a 16:9 show and display perfectly on a 16:9 TV.

Then, when you come to burning to a DVD you would be burning two similar (16:9) shows.

There would be, however, quality issues.

DG

Thanks davegee.....sounds interesting....but I'm now getting into an area about which I know nothing, (.....build everything on a 16:9 frame/background. Use a PNG mask to provide a "window" for whatever AR you choose.)

Can you point me towards any tutorials on this subject?

Use the following TEMPLATE.

Your Project Options are 1920x1080 (16:9) and there are masks for 3x2 Upright, 4:3 and 3:2.

Choose the mask which suits your show and repeat it throughout the show.

Make sure it is always on top in the Objects panel.

Remember what I said earlier - if you use this to make DVDs you ARE going to lose quality.

DG

16x9.zip