WnSoft Forums

AVI and MPEG Encoding

quietstorm

I am not a video/audio expert, but this is my personal "guide" that I use when

I am making a SVCD!

This is what I have posted at my site.

Hope this helps ;)

If you plan on doing your own encoding, purchase the best encoder you can afford. I personally use TMPGEnc Plus http://www.pegasys-inc.com/e_main.html to encode my AVIs. But your perference may differ.

Remember, image is everything and if your image has artifacts, blockiness and noise, it will reflect upon the quality of your message.

MPEG-1

The practical limits of MPEG-1 are 352 x 240 pixels at 1.152 Mbps to 3.0 Mbps. For CDROM wide distribution, use the Video CD bit rate of 1.152 Mbps video, 224k Stereo Audio at a 44,100 sample rate. The resultant MPEG-1 files will play at 30 fps on a Pentium 120 minimum. The Video CD bit rate allows approximately one hour to be placed on a CDROM. Higher bit rates will yield better image quality, but less time on a CDROM and slow playback on older slower machines. Also, MPEG files are fully scaleable, even to full screen on a newer faster machine.

Software MPEG-1 encoding from an .avi file can yield high quality MPEG-1 files if the .avi is captured uncompressed. Also, render the .avi out at the end of editing at 352 x 240 as uncompressed as possible. Digital formats can be software encoded or rendered back out the to digital tape format and encoded on a real time encoder.

MPEG-2

MPEG-2 is 720 x 480 and from 4.0 Mbps to 15.O Mbps. A practical working bit rate is 5.0 Mbps, 224K Stereo at a 44,100 sample rate. Raise your bit rate to 6.0 Mbps if your files have a lot of motion, animations or detailed transitions.

Bart