WnSoft Forums

How to use VMware Fusion 3

Almark

Hi folks,

I could not get Paraells 6 to work, but got VMware Fusion to work with PTE with just a few tweaks.

If you have a iMac may I suggest:

1. It comes with 4GB RAM, don't do a store upgrade for extra memory. Go to crucial.com and get an extra 8GB for £50/$60. It is very easy to install and you end up with 12GB

2. Install VMware Fusion 3. You will need your original Win7 CD.

3. Once up and running Win7 will do its updates, mine found 89, and later updated to Win7 service pack 1, and so on...

4. The VMware version of Win7 is held in a virtual machine, but if minimised it will still update while you or at work on the iMac.

5. Install PTE to Win7, but you will find that when you try to run it, you will get an error message asking for Direct X.

6. Go back to VMware and install 'VMtools'

7. PTE will now work!

(I can only assume the same approach will work for macpro laptop.)

I now have the best of both worlds. Win7 comes up, as a result of it being held in virtual machine, in just seconds.

VMware allows for folders to be shared, so I can add my pictures/images/rawfile folders to be seen and edited in either win7 or on the iMac.

Be aware that while you may not need an Internet Security Suite on the iMac it is still a good idea. Many such suites are free. But if you have a virtual Win7 approach on your mac then a windows security suite is strongly recommended.

While I am clearly new to all this mac lion/win7 get together; if I can help, I will. I do not want this thread to become a Win7_V_Mac debate. I am merely offering this info for folk who have jumped ship and are looking to run PTE on a mac. All feedback is most welcome!