WnSoft Forums

PTE Presentations

gogs

When adding background music to a presentation if there is more tha one piece of music there is a noticeable pause between the pieces. Can anyone tell me if there is a way to have a seamless transition of the music or a crossfade. If not is this something that others think might be a benefit in a future upgrade.

gogs

I haven't tried using two music files (or more) in one PTE show, so I haven't experienced the problem. Probably the safest solution is to merge (and fade or crossfade if you wish) your music in a sound editor. Most sound cards come with a basic sound editor that will do these things, though you may not be aware you already have the software -- I didn't until a more-computer-literate friend told me how to look for it.

Go to Start>Programs and look for a folder that sounds like the name of your sound card manufacturer; I have a Turtle Beach card, so there's a folder called TBS Montego II Apps. Inside that folder there is a nifty program called AudioView 32, which has a well-documented help menu and is user-friendly and easy to use. Failing that, you can do very basic mixing in Windows Sound Recorder (in Windows 98 go to Start>Programs>Accessories>Entertainment, not sure where it hides in other Windows versions). However anything that shipped and installed with your sound card will probably work better and have more options than does Windows Sound Recorder (I've never tried using it as a mixer but I have a friend who has and says it works OK).

Failing these two options, go to www.tucows.com and look for a freeware or shareware sound editing program.

I've always found it best to work with multiple sound files in slide-show software by doing all the merging, mixing, fading and so on in other software that's specifically designed for sound editing, then save the result to one sound file and use it in the slide show.

BTW most if not all sound editors will only accept WAV files, at least AudioView32 won't take MP3, so if you want your music in MP3 you'll have to record and edit in WAV then convert to MP3 -- again go to tucows there should still be some good freeware WAV-to-MP3 converters out there.

Have fun!

To add to Ed's note.

The best free sound editing software is Audacity. It has been mentioned many times on the forum. It has many many functions. Comes close to Cool Edit in some areas, which is now ADOBE Audition and costs $$$$$$.

Acoustica MP3 audio mixer is inexpensive and quite good as well. I find it a little easier to use than Audacity, but I suspect that is because I did not know about Audacity and used Accoustica for over a year.

Audacity is available at: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Accoustica is at: http://www.acoustica.com/mp3-audio-mixer/ (It mixes wav files too)