WnSoft Forums

MP4 video on laptop success story

cgbraggjr

I bought an HP laptop a year ago because it had an HDMI port and I wanted to play HD shows on my TV. Well, I just finished a travel slide and video show, rendered it to HD, and tried to play it. Stutter stutter. Dang. It stuttered in Windows Media Player, and in KMP, a very highly regarded piece of free software. I tried another free video player: "Media Player Classic - Home Cinema."

Success! Even at High-Quality, the mp4 is playing perfectly. Here is a URL for comparing free media players:

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-windows-media-player-replacement.htm

System: Win XP Pro. Hardware: HP model 3651; Intel Atom CPU N270 @ 1.60 GHz; 3MB RAM; Nvidia ION LE. You have to agree that this is less horsepower than people assume is needed to play the hi-def videos (slow and single core), but Media Player Classic has made it work.

PS: I recommend reading the techsupportalert site for security recommendations, what with AVG causing so many problems. I dropped AVG and went with Microsoft's free Security Essentials and have not been bothered by viruses or interference with PTE in over a year.

Argonaut,

Forgive me, but I don't see the merit in doing it this way?

If you have HDMI then you can play the 1920x1080 EXE which (IMHO) gives better quality than the equivalent 1920x1080 H.264 MPEG4 file and takes up a lot less Hard Disc Space.

The beauty of the MPEG4 is that it can (on a suitably equipped TV) play via a memory key without the need for wires or other paraphernalia which seems to annoy the ladies.

DG

DG - my laptop cannot play a hi-def EXE file (an Atom CPU??), and the TV cannot play MP4s. The only way to get an HD program in to the TV is via blu-ray (also do not have) or HDMI. The only computer I have that is fast enough to play an EXE is a desktop and a major hassle to move to the TV, plus it does not have an HDMI port anyway.

So, the only way to get HD from PTE to the TV is an mp4 file played on my laptop. The quality is quite good (i was happily surprised to be able to pause the mp4 and not lose quality the way you do when you pause a DVD); in a way I don't want to see an EXE file played in case it *is* better. And the wife doesn't mind that one HDMI cable, as long as I disconnect when I'm done.

• 4 months later...
Guest Michiganboy

Where to buy a HDMI port? Because i purchased 5 HD MPEG4 video (1920x1080) and i also want to play them on my television for my family...