WnSoft Forums

Extracting audio from .avi

fitzner101

:lol:

Let me explain. I know that we all are very busy with what Igor is working on but I have a project that I need some advice.

I am about to end the semister at our Bible School and I want to make availabe all the lectures in audio format from the video .avi format.

Today I used Roxio "Field Stream" and I did get only the audio but it seems you HAVE to use this program only to play it back.

I want a program, would like it freeware, that I can do this and that the students could play the audio cd in the car or in the home in a cd player and the computer (all three)

So, does anyone know of such a FREEWARE program that I can do this?

Harry

Hi Harry

A lot depends on the format of the video file as to which software will extract the audio. Sound Forge is very good at reading the sound stream from avi files, but this is a fairly expensive piece of software. One of the best pieces of sound editing software available at the moment is Audacity and it is free. It does make a valiant attempt to read the sound stream but is limited in what it can recognse. It is worth trying. If it works - great.

I am sure that others more experienced than I in this field will be able to point you in another direction.

Audacity can be found at:

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Good Luck

MikeL

:huh: I've tried audacity one time thus far and at first could not find the file and then I went to all files and found it.

It copied the file in mp3 and I wondered about that. This would have been great in mp3 format as it would be condensed compared to a wave file.

when I played it back it was just noise and static. I might email their web site and enquire about this.

Harry