WnSoft Forums

Creating your own music

isabel95

I have a keyboard with which I can save files to a floppy (or I can attach the keyboard to the computer input, but I'm real sketchy as to how to get decent results and have very little experience with audio. I would like to create music for my slideshows on that keyboard. Can anyone point me to some non-technical as possible tutorials as to how to do this. I will be using a Roland Fantom.

Isabel

Isabel

just remember that Igor has not allowed for midi files for the avi's yet

from a quick google search - midi tutorial

http://www.harmony-central.com/MIDI/Doc/tutorial.html

http://www.borg.com/~jglatt/tutr/miditutr.htm

lots of hits these were the first 2

ken

Thanks, Ken, for the rapid response. When I get a "bug in my ear" and set a project goal I like to dive right into it! I guess my biggest question is whether it's possible to convert the midi files into mp3 files and, if so, to retain the same instrument sounds. I know midi files will sound different on different computers depending upon the sound cards installed.

Isabel

Isabel

just remember that Igor has not allowed for midi files for the avi's yet

from a quick google search - midi tutorial

http://www.harmony-central.com/MIDI/Doc/tutorial.html

http://www.borg.com/~jglatt/tutr/miditutr.htm

lots of hits these were the first 2

ken

Thanks, Ken, for the rapid response. When I get a "bug in my ear" and set a project goal I like to dive right into it! I guess my biggest question is whether it's possible to convert the midi files into mp3 files and, if so, to retain the same instrument sounds. I know midi files will sound different on different computers depending upon the sound cards installed.

Isabel

Here's my start: http://mp3.about.com/cs/tipstricks/a/miditomp3orcd.htm

Isabel

Hi, Isabel,

I use a Roland "U20" keyboard along with a Technics "WSA1R" synth module for my MIDI and have found it to be quite successful. The sound in both my "Canada Day" and "Hidden Desert Canyons" shows are examples of the output from this combination.

Even if you could use MIDI directly in your avi files, unless you need the smaller sound files, it is best to convert the MIDI first to mp3 or wav files, even for your PTE shows, as the sound quality will be more consistent, and probably much better, over different pc's.

You can use Audacity, or Cool Edit (now Adobe "Audition"), or similar sound editor, to do the conversion through your sound card.

Hi, Isabel,

I use a Roland "U20" keyboard along with a Technics "WSA1R" synth module for my MIDI and have found it to be quite successful. The sound in both my "Canada Day" and "Hidden Desert Canyons" shows are examples of the output from this combination.

Even if you could use MIDI directly in your avi files, unless you need the smaller sound files, it is best to convert the MIDI first to mp3 or wav files, even for your PTE shows, as the sound quality will be more consistent, and probably much better, over different pc's.

You can use Audacity, or Cool Edit (now Adobe "Audition"), or similar sound editor, to do the conversion through your sound card.

Are you saying that I can save a midi file directly to mp3 without first saving to wav. I'm reading conflicting information.

I also just ordered a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound card. The Sound Blaster card which came with my Dell 8250 has pitiful midi sounds in it. My previous Dell had a Turtle Beach card and the sounds were much better.

I have Audacity in my machine and haven't really used it. Will have to investigate its features. Can you recommend a good tutorial for it?

Thanks!

Isabel

P.S. I'll have to check out your presentations!

Hi, Isabel,

"Unable to initialize file"...that's what I get when I try to export an imported midi file in Audacity to an mp3 file. Probably somethign very obvious I have to do, but I can't figure it out.

Isabel

Hi, Isabel,

No, you can't do a straight conversion (or importing), as a MIDI file is not a music file, per se. It is just a collection of commands that instructs a MIDI-enabled instrument what to play.

So, you have to set up the MIDI player (sequencer or keyboard or sound module) so that it's output is routed to the sound card's line input. Then you can record into ".wav" format as you play the MIDI selection, and then convert it to ".mp3".

Hi, Isabel,

No, you can't do a straight conversion (or importing), as a MIDI file is not a music file, per se. It is just a collection of commands that instructs a MIDI-enabled instrument what to play.

So, you have to set up the MIDI player (sequencer or keyboard or sound module) so that it's output is routed to the sound card's line input. Then you can record into ".wav" format as you play the MIDI selection, and then convert it to ".mp3".

Arghhhh! I see I am going to have to do some serious studying here...complicated by the fact that my computer is on a different floor from my keyboard. I do have a laptop down there, but what sort of sound will I get using that???

Isabel

P.S. So I just can't save a recorded midi file, I must attach the keyboard via a midi cable to my cpu?

P.P.S. I watched both your presentations and am impressed by both your musical and photographic skills. I especially enjoyed the Canada Day presentation.

Hi, Isabel,

Thanks for the compliment. However, it won't help to make your MIDI setup any simpler! :)

Unless you are using a pc-based sequencer for your MIDI, you will have to have a physical connection from the line out on your keyboard to the line-in on your pc sound card in order to record the music in ".wav" format. Note that it is a "line" input, not a "MIDI" input.

I also use a laptop from time to time, but the sound with it is not as good as with the better quality sound card on my pc. I found out earlier this week that for around $1000 CDN I can get an external box for my laptop, (distributed by "Motu" - they have a web site), which would allow me to bypass the laptop's sound card, and access the on-board sequencer and sound-editing software via the "firewire" port. I would also have to use an external module for the MIDI sounds. This external box also has about 20 inputs which would allow me to record an orchestra or rock band, and then mix all the sounds together, including adding some MIDI, with the Cubase software. Santa, are you listening? :rolleyes:

If you have a pc-based sequencer, then you would use a MIDI input from your keyboard, but it would likely be through a special MIDI interface, not the sound card itself. I use a little "Midiman" box as the interface which allows me to connect through the USB port of my computer. With this arrangement, you would be using the internal sounds on the sound card, however, and these are usually inferior to those on the keyboard or external sound module.

With this setup, you don't need a separate line input, as the sound capability is already in the pc. The program accesses the sound card internally. In fact, you can have your sequencer (I use "Cubase") running and your sound editor (Acoustica, Audition, etc.) recording, all at the same time.

If you didn't want to connect up your keyboard, with this arrangement you could also simply import a MIDI file and play it back with your sequencer or other MIDI player, and record at the same time. However, you would again be using the sounds from your sound card.

Things get a little complicated, I know, especially with the MIDI part. That's why they call the people who record for CD's, etc., "recording engineers", I guess. B)

Hope I haven't made this too confusing. :)

Hi, Mike,

Sometimes it feels like that, too, especially trying to keep up with all this new digital hardware and software. But what you can accomplish now in just a home-based studio is mind-boggling.

However, recording from your keyboard doesn't have to be complicated if you just run a line input to your sound card. This way you can record the actual sounds from the keyboard. B)

Hi, Isabel,

I use a Roland "U20" keyboard along with a Technics "WSA1R" synth module for my MIDI and have found it to be quite successful.   The sound in both my "Canada Day" and "Hidden Desert Canyons" shows are examples of the output from this combination.  

"Unable to initialize file"...that's what I get when I try to export an imported midi file in Audacity to an mp3 file. Probably somethign very obvious I have to do, but I can't figure it out.

Isabel

Not sure what you mean "through my sound card". Can you elaborate?

Thanks so much!

Isabel

Isabel,

By "through my sound card" I was referring to the recording of a MIDI file by connecting the line output of the MIDI device (e.g. keyboard) to the line input of the sound card, and the use of a sound editing program such as Audacity or Audition to convert this analogue input to a ".wav" file. Please let me know if you want me to elaborate further. :)

Well...until I install my new sound card I'm going to have to put the creating music on hold. I also have to have a date with my Fantom manuals. It's been a long time since I TRIED to understand them!

Thanks, Al, for all the explanations...as overwhelming as all the information is, I usually figure out what I have to do to get a job done. I don't give up easily.

Isabel

Isabel,

That's the only way to aproach it. Nothing is impossible, especially if you work at it hard and long enough.

Good luck! And someone will be here if you run into problems. :)