WnSoft Forums

The Complete Hubble Show

Lin Evans

For those who dare to go where no man has gone before - we present:

The Journey To The Carina Nebula and the antique PTE slideshow created in version 7 of PTE. In honor of the release of PTE version 167 now with full holographic projection, and in memory of version 7.0 back in the early 21st century, we present this antique slideshow with 80 images taken with the nearly prehistoric Earth orbiting Hubble telescope and camera. For those with sufficient bandwidth to download this 78 megabyte presentation, the links are:

http://www.lin-evans...spaceflight.zip (Windows zipped exe - 78.3 meg)

http://www.lin-evans...ceflightmac.zip (MacIntosh native exe)

Though there is no navigation bar, for convenience, you may stop and start the show with the space bar and go forward or backward with the right and left arrow keys.

Running time 23 minutes 48 seconds

16:9 aspect ratio

Lin

Lin -

Sounds like you're having a blast playing with all these images. I have hundreds of Hubble images myself - simply amazing. It's almost impossible to comprehend the vast distances across space.

Greg

Hi Greg,

Indeed - the implications of space and time are unfathomable. It's been great fun making the introduction (and ending) of this show. I suspect it might primarily appeal to children, but perhaps to the "child" in us all. It was a monumental undertaking - "much" more complexity than meets the eye and not easy to accomplish. The "slideshow" part is quite simple, but the introduction has myriad pieces and parts all which must work simultaneously and at the proper times. If it looks relatively simple, then I've done my job which is to make it appear so.

Best regards,

Lin

Hey Tom,

Ahh, the old "seat belt" - yes, they were rendered obsolete in 3029 when localized gravity was abandoned for intergalactic flights. Now passengers have no need for restraints since the motion of the starship is never transmitted to the occupants who live in a complete "atmospheric" cushion of soft protons. It's rather like being suspended in air. While the "container" surrounding one might bounce around a bit with warp speed vibration, the passengers are comfortably held in their cocoons of plasma in complete safety and comfort.

The cockpit was fun - I forgot to turn on the "warp gage," but it's fixed now, and the "revised" upload is about 90% and expected to successfully complete in precisely 2 minutes and 32 seconds from 10:46 mark.

Lin

LOL - as long as there is "anything" to tax, or any "excuse" to "tax" something, then it will be done. The old saying about death and taxes is pretty much insured for the future of mankind. Yep, in 3434 there will be taxes and all "carbon lifeforms" will be subject, of this I'm certain.

Thanks Ken - a fun project and keeping me out of trouble!

L

Hi Tom,

Those pesky flies are always throwing "monkey wrenches" in our understanding of physics. Actually, it mirrors the behavior of lighter than air substances inside a moving body. If you were to place a helium or hydrogen filled balloon inside a car and stop with a sudden crash, the balloon would not move forward, but rather backward. This is because the air which is contained inside the vehicle goes forward, is somewhat compressed and then rebounds. The fly, being lighter than the air via the act of "flying" is cushioned by this rebounding air, and like the balloon, moves backward rather than forward. Likewise with sudden acceleration. The fly moves forward rather than being "pinned" to the back of the seat as we "heavier than air" creatures experience.

I'm thinking that in a vehicle traveling through space at incredible speeds with no gravity but an artificial atmosphere, probably the same cushioning effect would be felt. Hard to say, because any collision these days with our rudimentary technology would probably result in "lights out" for all occupants...

What's even more interesting to me, would be what would be the effect of traveling at faster than the speed of light. Since light waves or "particles" depending on how one looks at it, have been traveling from distant stars, would their be an "increase" in the amount of brightness as we "collect" excessive photons traveling at greater than the speed of light (assuming, of course, that it might someday be possible). When I was the official photographer for the 10th annual UFO Congress in Laughlin, Nevada some years ago, I met an interesting person named Bob Lazar, and had some lengthy chats with him. Bob claimed to have worked at Area 51 reverse engineering alien space craft. Of course his claims have been highly criticized and much disinformation has been put out about him, etc., but in my opinion, I believe he is legitimate. I also have met and talked at length with Nuclear Physicist Stanton Friedman who questions Bob's credentials. Regardless of what one might think and of Bob's somewhat shady history, he is and was a brilliant person. Bob, of course, is not the "only" person whose credentials can't be verified - including one very close to us in DC right now. Of the two, I prefer to believe Bob.

Bob told me that he was informed that space travel to distant galaxies was possible because space can be "warped" and that by doing so, objects separated by thousands of light years can temporarily be brought very close together. So were this true, it might be possible to effectively travel "straight line distances: of thousands of light years without actually exceeding the speed of light.

It's all well beyond my pay grade, but I suspect that this might be closer to fact than fiction.

At any rate, it's sure fun theorizing about how it might be, and knowing the background of where the "warp speed" concept originated.

Best regards,

Lin

LOL. The age old question about why the fly buzzing around in a moving car doesn't get slammed against the car window during rapid change in speed or direction. If it works on Star Trek it must be true. :)

The APOD is a good place for space related photos.

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/

Thanks,

Tom

Lin,

Nice work with the full version.

I finally got a chance to watch it in peace.

Bought in a galactic size bag of popcorn specially.

Now all this theorising about lightspeed and timewarp is fine.

As a real life experiment we can do a test.

2 Bottles of single malt.give one to Bob Lazar and tell him to ship it to me in one of those uber crafts.

The other bottle just pack it up and send it to me via the good ole US postal service.

I will drink which ever one arrives first and keep the other as a memento of the landmark occasion.

Cheers,

Davy