WnSoft Forums

Editing Sound in PTE Video Clip

Guest Yachtsman1

Guest Yachtsman1

Happy Diamond Jubilee to all Forum Members.

I'm putting a Jubilee show together comprising stills & video clips & on site recordings, plus a main sound track. I want to use the sound from the video clips but fade them in & out. I've added fades in customise slide but it doesnt seem to fade the sound only the pictures, can this be done in PTE or will I have to edit the clip sound outside PTE. The waveform of the clips doesn't show on the timeline. All my previous sound editing has been done in Audacity, so before I go any further can someone point me in the right direction.

Yachtsman1.

Eric,

Think audio levels adjustment in video is due in PTE 7.5 not sure though.

For Video, you can use Avi Demux (freebie prog) to adjust audio levels.

for the still images,use the cheapskates sound editor of choice,Audacity or from within PTE.

Maybe exporting all the sound files into Audacity will give you the most options

to fine tune your audio mix.

Davy

Guest Yachtsman1

I had a look at the video editors I have & Video Pad was the most intuitive again. Basically, import the video clip you want to apply sound fades to, go to edt, sound, fade in, set the length, fade out, set the length & Bob's your uncle. Only snag with the freebi version you can only save as an AVI, which then PTE optomises. Couldn't see or hear any difference from the PTE optomised MP4 original. :)

Yachtsman1.

post-5560-0-69144200-1338912390_thumb.jp

Guest Yachtsman1

Being as Ken pinched my title, I thought I'd better show what part of Jubilee Monday Southport style was.

The band is Tarleton Brass. The food needs no description, no Moet here.

Yachtsman1.

post-5560-0-69847800-1338925818_thumb.jp

post-5560-0-70673600-1338925900_thumb.jp

post-5560-0-37879300-1338926032_thumb.jp

Hi Eric,

There "is" another way to approach the "sound in video clip" issue especially if the sound doesn't have to be precisely synchronized to the video. There is great audio versatility for PTE's audio tracks including fade-in, fade-out, total envelope control, stop, start, delay, offset, etc., but these fine audio controls are not yet part of the video clip audio track. So, how can we use these great features for our video clip audio?

If we "mute" the audio track in the video (that can easily be done in PTE) then if we extract the audio track from the video as an MP3 (very easy to do with freeware) then we can insert the mp3 as an audio track and perform all the above functions on it. There are tutorials on how to do this in my tutorial set.

The bottom line is that unless you have a vocalist singing with a closeup of their mouth moving, most video clip audio will run perfectly well after being extracted from the video clip and inserted in the sound track of PTE as an MP3 audio. Once there, all the powerful audio features of PTE can easily be applied. For example, you can stop the audio for the video clip, lower the volume, fade it in or out, start it precisely where you stopped it, etc.

I use Xmedia Recode to extract audio tracks from many of my videos and then reinsert the audio as an mp3. Xaver told me about Xmedia Recode and I've found that I can even extract audio from a video clip and reinsert it as an MP3 without affecting the synchronization at all in many cases.

Just another thing to think about if you need greater versatility without having to alter the audio in your favorite video editor.

Best regards,

Lin

Happy Diamond Jubilee to all Forum Members.

I'm putting a Jubilee show together comprising stills & video clips & on site recordings, plus a main sound track. I want to use the sound from the video clips but fade them in & out. I've added fades in customise slide but it doesnt seem to fade the sound only the pictures, can this be done in PTE or will I have to edit the clip sound outside PTE. The waveform of the clips doesn't show on the timeline. All my previous sound editing has been done in Audacity, so before I go any further can someone point me in the right direction.

Yachtsman1.

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Lin

I had considered ripping the video audio tracks & taking them into Audacity, however, two have the conductress of a brass band conducting, together with the movements of the instrument players, particularly the trombonist, & the killer was the final clip which was Katy our resident vocalist performing, so trying to synchronise all that was just too much effort. So I used Video Pad & Audacity. I've completed the show now, the only problem I've found, after adding a 4 second sound fade in & out to each clip I get a one or two second black screen at the end of the clips before the next picture slide, the sound is fine. I wondered if it was the fades I'd applied in project options, only just thought of that, something to check. Thanks for the suggestions. Back later if I find the black screen fault.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

Guest Yachtsman1

Just done a check on the black screen flash & it must be Video Pad introducing it with the sound fade process, the clips direct from the camera and original PTE conversions are fine.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1. :(

Guest Yachtsman1

While checking through my wife's & my pictures, I spotted one that went unoticed in the original show, it was one of my wife's. Could have made more of it if I had spotted it earlier. :o

Yachtsman1.

post-5560-0-46429400-1338973669_thumb.jp