WnSoft Forums

Severn Bore Timelapse

morturn

Download Link to Beechbrook

The Severn Bore, a timelapse filmed from Newnham churchyard on 4 June 2012.

A bore is a naturally occurring tidal wave which forms as the rising tide forces a large volume of water through a narrowing river channel with a rising river bed. Bores only occur during high tide in the lower reaches of a few rivers with large tidal ranges throughout the world.

The Severn Estuary has the second highest tidal range in the world. In any one day the difference between the highest and lowest tide can be more than 14.5 metres.

This bore was classed as a one star bore, with a tide of 9.1 meters at Sharpness, as five star bore is much more impressive.

The Severn Bore has an average speed of 16km per hour and can reach two metres in height. The size of the bore can be affected by opposing winds or high fresh-water levels which reduce its height and delay its arrival. A following wind can increase its height and speed when it arrives.

The name bore comes from the Scandinavian or Icelandic 'bara' meaning a wave, swell or billow.

This is the first timelapse I have filmed, It has some flicker, caused by the aperture of the lens. I would like to remove this but without resorting to third party plug-ins.

Music; Moments in Space - spinmeister

File size id 101Mg so it is a big file, 1,700 RAW images in the sequence.

Your thoughts or comments are welcome

Very interesting indeed David. Thanks for sharing. A great way for us to experience it, and not get our feet wet ! ;) . Good to have you back (from school) bringing us new PTE shows.

All the best,

Bill

Hi and thanks for the comments.

I set the camera to take one picture every second, and took just over 1,700 photos over a period of about 28 minutes.

I set the quality to small RAW, on a 16 Mg card

Hi and thanks for the comments.

I set the camera to take one picture every second, and took just over 1,700 photos over a period of about 28 minutes.

I set the quality to small RAW, on a 16 Mg card

Thanks for the details.

I enjoyed it - it must have taken a little organising in PTE!! 1700 images per 1m 18s - 0.04588s per slide?

I believe you meant 16Gb?

DG