WnSoft Forums

PTE workflow

Nashiki

Hello PTE enthousiasts,

I decided to buy PTE. Thanks to all who advised me...:-)

The thing I am thinking about now is how to set up a structured workflow on making my slideshows.

Is there a tread about this subject?

The folderstructure I plan to set up is the following:

- PTE Projects

- Project 1(name)

- Slides

- Music-Sound

- Project 2(name)

- Slides

- Music-Sound

Has someon some advice on this?

Thanks in advance

Bert

Hi Bert,

Your existing plan is going to avoid the biggest single pitfall. You already intend to have one folder per sequence and to have everything for that sequence held in sub-folders within it.

After that, there is no single workflow that is common to everybody. A workflow has to be something that suits you and your approach to your creativity. On the technical front, the first decision is: what aspect ratio are you going to use? The second decision is: what image size are you going to use?

On the artistic front, you have to be led by your creativity juices. Sometimes you will have a batch of images and be looking for a suitable piece of music. On another occasion you will have been inspired by a piece of music to go out and capture some images to go with it. I call these the image-led and music-led approaches. As you progress, you may arrive at a point where you want to tell a story. At that point you will probably need to produce some sort of storyboard and/or script, which will then guide you to the images and sound that you will need in order to produce the sequence.

When it comes to the assembly process, I usually add in all the images first and get them sized and positioned as I want them. Then I'll add in the soundtrack. Although this can be built in PTE, I prefer to do what I have always done, and assemble the soundtrack in Audacity. I then fine tune the timings of the slides and set about choosing transitions and adjusting their durations. If I am using any animation I will set that up as I go along.

If I am intending to use some major feature for the first time (e.g. animation) I will experiment with that in a totally separate set of folders (I call them "My Playpen") with totally separate images and sound files, then take back to the "real world" the skills and knowledge that I have amassed.

One final point: I start every sequence using low resolution images (exported from Lightroom as Quality=0 JPEGs). Once I have decided which ones I will actually be using in the sequence, I re-export as TIFFs and then finish off their processing in Photoshop Elements, finally saving them as JPEG Quality = 8.

regards,

Peter

Hello Bert,

Welcome to the PTE User Forum.

I did a tutorial called 'Making your first slide show' that is still available, You might like to take a look here: HERE:

Regards,

Ron West

Hello Peter,

Thanks a lot explaning your workflow. This will be a great help to me.

I am using lightroom 4 and photoshop elements 10 for my photo work.

I want to be as structured as possible. Making slide shows excites me. As you mentionned my goal is to tell stories with my photo's that go further than adding nice pictures together.

I will post my url when my site is ready next week to show you what i mean.

again thank you for the stimulating advice

Bert