WnSoft Forums

Understanding DVD/SVCD formats

Eric Athroll

Hi

I have made a few successful SVCDs using PTE/TMPGEnc that play well on my PAL 4:3 TV. These have been more by accident than design.

I cannot seem to find any information regarding the basic format for the jpeg images to enable me to produce an optimum SVCD and DVD that fills the TV screen at 4:3 and one that would fill the 16:9 TV format. I have been using 768x576 pxls for 4:3 and 768x432 pxls for 16:9 both at middle quality compression giving file sizes around 80 - 160 KB and music background in Mp3 format.

When I look at the technical specifications of the various bits of software available I am lost because the format and compression figures given are meaningless to me.

I would appreciate someone explaining to me how to get from PTE to AVI to MPEG2

for both SVCD and DVD in terms of optimum image dimensions(pixels)/jpeg compression and PTE AVI/Video and TMPGEnc settings to achieve SVCDs/DVDs that will fill the TV Screen in both 4:4 and 16:9 formats.

Eric,

I just posted a similar message regarding the optimum image resolution for DVD. I have some experience in video editing but have no idea in the PTE process to create the avi file. Hopefully we can get some good answer from knowledge people here. Otherwise, the other option is learn from trial-and-error (I hate this process as it takes SO MUCH TIME and can be very frustrating).

Hi Stephen

I agree with your sentiments. I find it very difficult to read read through reams of technical jargon in on line manuals and much prefer hard copy to work from.

In the case of this problem however, I have been unable to find the basic information I need anywhere. Most manuals for software assume a working knowledge of the process to which it relates.

As I said before, I simply need to know what formats are possible with SCVD and DVD and the optimum image/music files/sixes to do the job.

I don't have a DVD Player/Writer with my my PC as yet so am restricted to VCD/SVCDs. Also my TV is 4:3 format, but can be altered to show 16:9 giving a letter box image on screen.

As I am shortly going to buy both a new TV and PC I would like to know the answers to my basic questions before doing so. I have literally thousands of slides of family stuff over the past 50 years which I would like to put on a media that will be usable by my children and grandchildren. I don't want to spend the hours and hours it will take to scan, manipulate and asemble them into shows until I am sure that I am using the optimum settings throughout the processes involved.

I really hope someone can start a thread here or point me to another source of the very basics of all of this.