WnSoft Forums

Arts and Crafts Bookcase Overview and Build

morturn

Arts & Crafts Bookcase Overview & Build

This is a piece of traditional furniture I made for my son in my workshop, its quite nice to see young people appreciating traditionally made furniture.

Made for American White Oak and finished with a rubbed oil finish.

38MB download On Beechbrook Cottage here

A big thanks to Bill for his time and patience today helping me through a few problems uploading it.

Thoughts or comments welcome

Morturn,

A great record of what looks like a marvellous piece of furniture.

I am not sure that the video clips added anything to the AV although they did not detract from it.

What would have added much more value is hearing your dulcet tones explain what you were doing with background sounds from the workshop.

Thanks for sharing,

DG

Dave

a work of art to say the least and a great show

- is this the surprise you told me about the other day ?

-- it will be a great surprise for your son for sure

never heard a plane make so much noise 'tho )

ken

It is, he was quite suprized to say the least.

I thought the plane was quite noisey too, maybe the levels were too high.

Davgee

Thanks for your comments.

Dave,

Lie Nielsen,Bessey,Incra etc. Won't find them,or a custom oak bookcase at B&Q!

The Arts and Crafts title had me worried.its something I would associate with a blam blam woodworking weekend warrior.

Pleased then it turned out to be a quality project and not a Barry Bucknell disaster.

Nice work.

The AV was very good,though maybe screen time per slide was too brief in places.

Well done.

Davy

Hi Davy

The Arts and Crafts or Craftsman style was developed as a way of retaliation to the mass produced product.

The emphasis being on quality work hand made by skilled crafts people as a back to basics idealism. However the concept was almost a self defeating argument, in that not many people could afford to buy such items, the labour costs being just too high and put them out of the price range of the people the product was pitched at.

Thank you for your comment, I agree, I think I have put too many slides in this presentation, Ill cut down on the next one.

I do remember Barry Bucknell, and some of his finer moments; the flush door, the electric fire....