WnSoft Forums

RGB->SGRB->Profile

aves

Jan:

Funny you should ask that, I was talking to someone about that the other day.

I am not sure that PTE has a colour corrector (I know that is not the right term...)

My images are all sRGB as I do not print them.

But the reality I suspect is, how many people who will see your show, have their monitors calibrated ? So while we can use the "correct" profile on our images, few if any will see them the way we intended anyway.

The best check is to go to known pages -- this one is varying shades of soft blue and pure white in the writing areas

go to sites where faces are generally shown -- the UK daily

http://www.thesun.co.uk/

has a wide variety of faces

Periodically i scan in a known value -- in this case i scan a photofinisher's envelope -- when the scan is done i compare what is on screen as to the original and i set the curves of my scanner accordingly

as Jim says you have no control over what settings are on other systems

I have friend that is colour blind and i use him to test my cd's - he thinks they are great

bottom line

look for known values and adjust as necessary

always please yourself -- you might have a slight bit of colour blindness ;)

ken

Hi Jan,

I too use the Spyder and Adobe98 profiles, and once I've got the photo's looking the way I like them, I convert them to low res SRGB.

I have tried it with Adobe98 but the colours look too washed out on non calibrated monitors and TV's (I put my shows on to DVD's), with SRGB they look quite punchy... It's also worth doing this for websites

Hope this helps

George

In my experience all images intended for display on the web, over computer monitors, or using a digital projector, should be saved with the sRGB profile not the Adobe RGB 1998 or other profiles. The latter is a better profile for printing, but images in the Adobe profile will appear under-saturated (as another poster mentioned) when displayed on a monitor or a projector through software that doesn't use ICC profiles for colour management. I don't know whether PTE does ICC colour management or not, but even if it does, saving the images in sRGB won't hurt. Photoshop, for example, does ICC colour management, and you shouldn't see a difference between an sRGB version and an Adobe RGB version of the same file in that software (unless you use the "proof colors" control). But Internet Explorer doesn't do proper colour management, and Adobe RGB images displayed using IE will look much less satisfactory than would the same images saved with the sRGB profile.

Also in my experience, sRGB will look better than Adobe on a monitor in non-ICC-managed software, whether or not the monitor has been calibrated correctly.

In short, for digital audio-visual presentations, always use the sRGB colour profile for your images -- it won't hurt, and in some software it will help. In my experience anyway. Hope this helps.