WnSoft Forums

VCR tape to Computer to DVD

willzviewz

Friends:

I have a drawer full of video tapes I took of the kids over the years. You-got-it, I want to put them into the computer so I can put them on a DVD-R. I have a VCR I can hook up to the computer but in looking around, I can't figure out where to plug it in. I tried plugging it in to the keyboard port with no luck.

Anyway, I was just kidding about the keyboard port! No, really what do I need to hook up my VCR to the computer? A capture card? What is the best way to feed the video into the computer. What device should I buy. Please don't suggest one of those Leadtech cards - I had one and took it out because of error messages, etc.

I apologize if this has been addressed elsewhere. I did find discussion about various softwares that do the editing.

Thank you all for your kind assistance.

Will

I don't have the answer for you.

But I do suggest that you look into a DVR recorder. (Like a VCR put with DVD's)

If you transfer 2 hours of video through your computer the time line might be something like this.

2 hours to transfer to computer.

4 hours Render Video for DVD.

1 hour Burning DVD.

oops Did not work. Buy more DVD's Try agian next weekend. :)

If you plan on editing the Video's then you will want to use the Computer.

But if you plan on just transfering them I think you might be happier with the DVR.

You can buy one for around $300 now.

cc

Thank you for your response. I have continued to scour the Internet in search of the magic pill and alas, found nothing but pain and misery.

It seems that the best way to do this is to hook a digital camcorder to the VCR - play the VCR tape to the digicam and re-record the video onto the digicam then hook the digicam to the computer via a firewire to feed it into an editing program.

Thanks much.

Guest Techman1

Will,

You must have used a video camera to record all of those VCR tapes. What type of camera did you use? What type of connections does it support for output? What type of tapes do you have (VCR/VHS, VHS-C, DVC, 8MM, Digital-8, etc.)?

If your camera only supports analog out, then you'll need a capture card that supports analog. Most of these types of cards have analog connectors and S-Video connectors. The S-video will result in a better image.

If your camera supports Firewire, then you'll need a firewire card for your PC. This would mean that your camera has DV (Digital Video) which probably isn't the case since you're talking about VCR tapes.

Depending on what you have, will really answer this question.

Fred

Thanks Fred. These films range in age from 1984 to present. The early films were taken with a Panasonic camera attached to a portable VTR unit - remember 'em? They were the size of a small suitcase. The Panasonic camera had wires that ran to the recorder. It cost me $500.00 in 1984 - 85 - right in there. The rest were taken with a JVC - one of the first portable camera recorders on the market, cost over $1000.00 - OUCH.

None of the tapes I have were taken with digital equipment.

I suppose the quality will just have to be what it is. The quality of the tapes is less than desired now - I just want to preserve what I have.

The interesting thing about all this is that the kids don't seem to want to watch the tapes. Heck, I don't watch them. My parents are long gone and I have tapes of them but haven't watched them. It is interesting and perhaps a paradigm (I just wanted to try and squeeze that word in there but not sure it applies).

Thanks.

DVD Recorders Do Double Duty

New models add VHS playback and recording, hard-drive storage.

Anush Yegyazarian, PC World

Tuesday, January 13, 2004

see

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,...d,114274,00.asp

I couldn't find where they would record from your tapes but tis a start as there are some links/urls in the article as well

and yes i remember the 2 piece setups -- just had my Minolta vcr model MV - 500S re greased - records fine -- but playback poor -no camera tho'- i opted for the Minolta 1000 camcorder

forgot to mention

in the paper Feb issue there are some preliminary tests of the new 8x dvd recorders

http://www.pcworld.com/magazine/index/0,00.asp

Feb issue not on web yet

ken

Will,

It sound like your computer is equipped with firewire and you know how to do 'data transfer' via firewire to your computer. I think you are on the right track of using FW to transfer video to your computer. It will be the easiest way to do a project. You do need a 'bridge' between your FW card and your VCR. You have two choices: (1) buy a Sony D8 that has the pass-through feature (so that you don't have to record) and use the camcorder as the analog to DV converter; (2) buy an analog to DV converter to get your VCR video into your computer. Good luck.

Hi,

I have transfered numerous vcr tapes , ones that I made with a older video cam, not digital.

I use a Dazzle Hollywood Bridge which is a piece of hardware that I hook my vcr into and it is hooked to my computer via usb port.

I then have numerous capture programs that allows me to capture the video off the vcr tape and then I move it to a dvd or vcd depending on the case

Don