WnSoft Forums

Access denied

Gypsey

Having just recovered from a Windows 7 system crash and having reloaded PTE 7.5 I find that the program works OK except that I cannot save my pte project, I get an error message 'Access Denied'

Can anyone throw some light as to what might be causing this problem.

Arthur

Hi Tom

I can save a text file to desktop and interestingly I can indeed save my pte file if I rename it.

If I then delete the original, I can then save it with the original name.

Can you tell why this has happened.

Arthur

Hi Arthur,

When you recovered from Windows 7 crash does that mean you had to replace the hard drive or reinstall the operating system? If you right click on the bad .pte file (if it is still on your hard drive) and check the file properties you will probably notice you do not have write permissions on the file.

Microsoft Troubleshoot access denied problems

Tom

Hi Tom

I had to replace the Operating system. If I check Properties, it does not say Read Only.

Microsoft Troubleshoot seems to refer to problems in opening files. I can open, but I cannot save.

I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that the file was created using pte 7 and now I am working and trying to save in 7.5. I get a message saying that the pte file will no longer work with ver.7, so I suppose that you are forced to save with a different file name, which then retains the old file which can still be opened in ver.7

Regards

Arthur

I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that the file was created using pte 7 and now I am working and trying to save in 7.5. I get a message saying that the pte file will no longer work with ver.7, so I suppose that you are forced to save with a different file name, which then retains the old file which can still be opened in ver.7

Arthur,

What you describe here is normal PTE behaviour. The file structure and content of a v7.5 .pte file is different to that of a v7.0 .pte file. So you are warned that saving the file will/may make it unworkable in the earlier version. This is a very different situation to "Access denied" from the Windows operating system. If we are to give you good advice, I think we need to know exactly what your problem symptoms are. A screengrab or two would help make this clear to us.

regards,

Peter

Arthur,

What you describe here is normal PTE behaviour. The file structure and content of a v7.5 .pte file is different to that of a v7.0 .pte file. So you are warned that saving the file will/may make it unworkable in the earlier version. This is a very different situation to "Access denied" from the Windows operating system. If we are to give you good advice, I think we need to know exactly what your problem symptoms are. A screengrab or two would help make this clear to us.

regards,

Peter

Thank you Peter

I am no lnger getting the 'Acces Denied' error so am unable to send a screen shot. So for the time being I am closing this query.

I hear what you say about PTE and Windows, but nevertheless the problem sems to have gone away after I save with a different file name, deleted the original and then resaved with the original file name.

Arthur