WnSoft Forums

Royalty Free and Bespoke Music

Chumba

Hi All

As you may know, I am a musician and composer. Whilst watching a lot of the slide-shows, I can see that the standard of royalty free music available to you all is very low.

I was thinking of putting together a CD or two for use in slideshows, films etc. Just wanted your opinions on a couple of aspects first.

1) What genres of music do you guys need the most?

2) Would you be prepared to pay more for high quality music?

3) Would anyone use bespoke music in their presentations ie specially commissioned for them?

I don't know how many of you do this on a pro basis, but it would seem to me that this would raise the profile of your slideshows considerably, as this is the area that usually lets them down the most.

I don't mean to be critical of what you have all produced, rather I am just throwing out a couple of ideas to see what the reaction might be ;)

Look forward to your responses!

Mark

Hi Mark;

I am a professional photographer. I give my clients a PTE slide show to view their wedding and portrait images. For weddings, baby portraits and non high school senior portraits I like a softer more mellow mood. Piano or instrumental would be good. For high school seniors the mood and beat needs to be quite a bit more fast paced, energetic and lively. I have never heard of bespoke music. When you say specially commissioned does that mean that you would produce the music mp3's especially to my requirements and sell it to me? I might be interest in that if it would be easier for me to get exactly the kind of music I was looking for. Would I pay more for high quality music? I don't really know. What do you mean by higher quality? The music I am using now sounds good on a pair of PC speakers and on the television speakers. It would depend on the cost and what is meant by higher quality.

Have a great day!

Mark,

We are a non-profit organization. Our main use of PTE is documentary slideshows of indigenous peoples.

I'm not sure what kind of music would be suited to that - something simple and tranquil I guess.

We are not currently in a position to pay for music, as we're still really in the start-up phase. So my question

is, would you be interested in licensing (non-exclusively, of course) some of your music in return for the

"advertising" you would get from being acknowledged in the credits?

If so, please respond with an e-mail address so we can discuss outside this forum.

Ray

Mark, I, too, am a fulltime professional portrait and wedding photographer and would be interested in hearing more about what you can offer for pros. I visited the Bespoke site and was impressed but do you have another place that we can sample other music/songs ? I agree with Bill about the softer, instrumental stuff for families, children, weddings, and faster hipper stuff for the HS seniors. I get some of our music from www.StudioCutz.com ($65/cd) now but am always ready to hear others.

Paul Alford

paul@paulalfordphotography.com

Interesting! By bespoke music I meant especially written for you! I didn't realise there was a similiarly named website!

The work I have been doing so far has been for funky portraits, family sots and also wedding presentations. A couple more quaestions ;)

1) What format would you like the music in? Traditional audio CD or a data Cd, with the tracks already recorded as wav / mp3 etc ready for use?

2) What sort of length would you need the yracks to be?

As far as high quality is concerned, I refer to the actual musical content, as opposed to the listening quality due to compression etc. A lot of royalty free music sounds quite "cheap", which is a shame when you are setting such beautifully shot photographs to it.

Any further ideas / responses?

Mark

ps Thanks to those who have already replied. As far as some samples are concerned, I am trying to sort a webpage as we speak. I will post the URL here when it is ready...........

Chumba;

I am currently using MP3 music for my PTE slide shows and it is working good so I assume that is the format that I would want. Since my PTE slide shows are usually different lengths because I am showing a different quantity of wedding photographs to different brides and grooms I use a program called MP3 Surgeon to combine the individual songs into a longer presentation. My slideshows run any where from about 7 minutes to about 20 minutes.

Have a great day!

Mark, I am a part-time nature/landscape/wildlife photographer, and sell some PTE shows of scenic areas, national parks, etc. I have bought music from PBTM.com before (about $45 per full MP3 track, along with a briefer version for transitions, etc.), and have gotten a good product, I think. I've also licensed Native American flute music from an artist I met at an art show I was participating in. I'm not presently looking for more music, but may be in the future. I mostly use very relaxing music with an environmental or spiritual feel, some Celtic music, guitar music, some Andean folk music as well. If you come up with a CD 'catalog' of music samples, I'd like to have it on file.

-David