WnSoft Forums

SWAN HUNTER SHIPYARD

Hello Derek,

Another good show thank you.

So much history, so many jobs lost.

The music fitted well (was it Jimmy Nail?).

I really liked the photography and I especially liked the silhouettes and in particular the last slide/photograph was brilliant and the fade out perfectly chosen to end a really good show.

The size of some of those rigs to take away cranes etc are amazing, quite a feat to dismantle the yard I would imagine.

Thank you for posting as ever

regards

Ralph

Hello Derek,

Another good show thank you.

So much history, so many jobs lost.

The music fitted well (was it Jimmy Nail?).

I really liked the photography and I especially liked the silhouettes and in particular the last slide/photograph was brilliant and the fade out perfectly chosen to end a really good show.

The size of some of those rigs to take away cranes etc are amazing, quite a feat to dismantle the yard I would imagine.

Thank you for posting as ever

regards

Ralph

Ralph,

Yes, the song is Big River by Jimmy Nail - repeated to make it long enough, did you spot the join? It was a great job working with the blokes that did the dismantling, loved it, a good excuse to climb all over the cranes! I enjoy working in heavy industry, have had a few jobs working at coal power stations in India (a couple in the portraits presentation) One of the shots won me the Ilford Industrial Photographer of The Year Award in the early 90's, see attached, if I can do it!. I have been to Bharati's new yard on the west coast of India but the iconic 180 ton red cranes have yet to be re-erected, must go back when they are.

There used to be hundreds of cranes on the Tyne, now there is just a handfull. At least the Swans cranes were put to good use rather than scrapped.

Regards. Derek

post-9845-0-85035400-1359540648_thumb.jp

Ralph,

Yes, the song is Big River by Jimmy Nail - repeated to make it long enough, did you spot the join? It was a great job working with the blokes that did the dismantling, loved it, a good excuse to climb all over the cranes! I enjoy working in heavy industry, have had a few jobs working at coal power stations in India (a couple in the portraits presentation) One of the shots won me the Ilford Industrial Photographer of The Year Award in the early 90's, see attached, if I can do it!. I have been to Bharati's new yard on the west coast of India but the iconic 180 ton red cranes have yet to be re-erected, must go back when they are.

There used to be hundreds of cranes on the Tyne, now there is just a handfull. At least the Swans cranes were put to good use rather than scrapped.

Regards. Derek

post-9845-0-85035400-1359540648_thumb.jp

Hi Derek,

Thats a very moody dramatic photo, it conveys so much, brilliant and thank you for uploading it.

regards

Ralph