WnSoft Forums

Create an exe File for Mac in VMware Fusion.

Ronniebootwest

I have been creating MAC versions of my slide shows in Windows XP pro for months now, with great success!

I create them by using the 'Create in Zip' option and then copy the resulting zip file over to my MAC desktop. Then a simple 'double click' extracts the zip file and the usual PTE exe logo appears. This then runs the slide show with a single click.

BUT, in Windows 8, this does not happen thus the slide show will not run :(/>

If I right click on the PTE logo and select 'Show Package Contents' I get a series of folders that mean nothing to me (see screenshot attached)

Can anyone help me with this problem please?

Ronnie West.

I have been creating MAC versions of my slide shows in Windows XP pro for months now, with great success!

I create them by using the 'Create in Zip' option and then copy the resulting zip file over to my MAC desktop. Then a simple 'double click' extracts the zip file and the usual PTE exe logo appears. This then runs the slide show with a single click.

BUT, in Windows 8, this does not happen thus the slide show will not run :(/>/>/>/>

Are you creating the zip file in Win8 and then moving the zip to the mac?

I don't use Win8, but that should work.

What happens when you double-click the app?

Are you creating the zip file in Win8 and then moving the zip to the mac?

The zip file is created in Windows 8 using PTE version 7.5.10 (create exe file for Mac option)

The PTE exe logo just flashes and nothing else happens. It should, of course, open the slide show but it doesn't,

The PTE exe logo just flashes and nothing else happens. It should, of course, open the slide show but it doesn't

Sounds like it crashed when you tried to run it.

Can you create the same show on XP? If so what happens?

Have you tried making a different slideshow, maybe something very simple, like just one image, just to see what happens?

Does it have audio? There have been some problems with some audio formats.

If you want, upload it somewhere, to see if it crashes for other people.

Sounds like it crashed when you tried to run it.

Can you create the same show on XP? If so what happens?

Same thing happens when I create the show in XP

Have you tried making a different slideshow, maybe something very simple, like just one image, just to see what happens?

OK, I have created a show with only 3 slides - the same thing happens with this.

Does it have audio? There have been some problems with some audio formats.

Yes it does have audio but, I removed the audio and this made no difference.

If you want, upload it somewhere, to see if it crashes for other people.

I have uploaded the slide show to Mediafire. this is the link: http://www.mediafire.com/?l1mj577wunceges

Edited by Ron West today:

Very strange! I download the show from the link on Mediafire and it played perfectly on my computer.

I have discovered the reason why the zip file is not opening, it is nothing to do with PTE or Windows 8 after all.

Somehow, I have installed a small application program called 'Keka' on my Mac (don't know where it came from) and it has made itself the 'default' archive program (zip) This has now overridden the normal 'Archive Utility' that is part of the Mac operating system.

I have no idea how to reset the correct archive utility as the default but, I can work around this by using the 'right click' and selecting 'open with'.

Ron

Very strange! I download the show from the link on Mediafire and it played perfectly on my computer.

same here. Played fine. Nice cars too.

I have no idea how to reset the correct archive utility as the default but, I can work around this by using the 'right click' and selecting 'open with'.

Select a zip file and pick Get info, then change the Open with menu to archive utility the click change all

Somehow, I have installed a small application program called 'Keka' on my Mac...

...I have no idea how to reset the correct archive utility as the default...

Ron,

Uninstall Keka? (Please note that this suggestion is offered by a Windows user. I have no experience of Macs except when it is raining)

regards,

Peter

Ken,

As usual, Google offers a confusing amount of solutions but, not the one that tells me how to completely uninstall 'Keka'

Crossfade.

Thanks for the tip on changing the 'Open With' command. Everything is working fine now.

Ron.

Crossfade,

You are right but, when dragging to the trash, sometimes some stuff gets left behind. To avoid this, I use a small app called 'AppZapper' that removes all trace of everything originally installed. This ensures that my computer is clear and clean.

I have now solved all the problems associated with running PTE Version 8 in a Windows 8 virtual machine created by VMware Fusion and I am very happy with the final results now.

I have created a small 5 slide show (without any of the new features) and have uploaded it to Mediafire in case any other Mac users want to see just how good PTE and Windows 8 work together.

Here is the link:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/wdmq81k3sk3c1mv/Test1_version8_Beta1.zip

Ron.