WnSoft Forums

December Morning on the Romney Marsh

raybridges

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Ray

Nice little show, a keeper.

It's funny I've just been fiddling with my sound system, see my today's post. I thought the sound level on your show fluctuated too much. If I set my level to hear the VO comfortably, the background sound was too loud at times & the change from VO to background too rapid. It's a fine art balancing sounds from different sources, but IMO, this one missed the mark.

I know one school of thought advocates, setting the background sound at a constant level, what I do, where there is a 10 second gap, minimum between vo passages, I pick a mid point on the envelope tool on the background track & raise that to the same level as the VO, which gives a smooth transition between sounds, if you don't want to maintain a constant background, anything less than 10 seconds leave it alone. Maybe it's me, someone else may comment? :unsure:/>/>

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

Hi Ray - Happy New Year to you.

Great photography, choice of music, dissolves and script. What it needs is the music

to be much louder and the volume of your VO increased even more. May be interesting to

use Normalize in the audio software to see what happens. Anyway very much enjoyed

the sequence.

Regards, Roger.

Hi Ray - Happy New Year to you.

Great photography, choice of music, dissolves and script. What it needs is the music

to be much louder and the volume of your VO increased even more. May be interesting to

use Normalize in the audio software to see what happens. Anyway very much enjoyed

the sequence.

Regards, Roger.

Hi Roger,

I tried normalize and have increased the music volume. What do you think?

Happy New Year,

Ray

Guest Yachtsman1

Normalise in Audacity is to prevent "clipping" which is where spikes on the waveform reach the boundaries & can cause distortion. Applying normalise usually reduces the volume.

Yachtsman1.

Well done Ray you have cracked it. The sound is now is very good.

Now a really great AV. As you have demonstrated when the overall

sound is too low, Normalizing will increase the volume.

Regards, Roger.

Hi Roger,

Many thanks for your advice.

Best wishes,

Ray

Hi Ray,

Just downloaded and viewed your show. Really enjoyed the music, poetry and music. Thought it all matched very well and made a very watchable av. Only small comment is that I would have liked the music to fade out a little longer at the end. It seemed to stop rather suddenly.