WnSoft Forums

Poor Quality DVD

ErnestP

Hi,

I have started a new thread as my questions are a little different to what I have read on the subject.

I have created a DVD to play in DVD players and have two problems:

1. The DVD does not play on either of my DVD players. The one is a Marantz and the other a cheaper Samsung player that can play most formats. I previously created a DVD in version 7.5 that played in both players. The quality was however very poor.

2. I can only open the DVD that I have now created in version 8.0.4 Deluxe on the PC, but the quality is terrible, and it does not fill the entire (wide) screen.

My shows have the following:

Aspect ratio: 16 : 10. I chose this and not 16 : 9 so that the image fills the entire PC monitor and the TV screen when attached to a laptop.

Image size: resolution 100 pixels/inch, height 1200 pixels. width 1920 pixels. Some images are larger to cater for pans, zooms, etc.

Project Options: Screen - Mode: Full screen, Virtual size of slide: 1280 : 800, Fixed size of pixels box is not ticked.

When publishing a show for DVD I have chosen Pal which is my TV, a menu aspect ration of 16 : 9, auto TV aspect ratio, 7000 bit rate, auto video type, anti flicker ticked, MPEG audio format, 256 bit rate, add chapters ticked at 1 min.

Any suggestions to solve the two problems will be appreciated.

Ernest

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi,

I have started a new thread as my questions are a little different to what I have read on the subject.

I have created a DVD to play in DVD players and have two problems:

1. The DVD does not play on either of my DVD players. The one is a Marantz and the other a cheaper Samsung player that can play most formats. I previously created a DVD in version 7.5 that played in both players. The quality was however very poor.

2. I can only open the DVD that I have now created in version 8.0.4 Deluxe on the PC, but the quality is terrible, and it does not fill the entire (wide) screen.

My shows have the following:

Aspect ratio: 16 : 10. I chose this and not 16 : 9 so that the image fills the entire PC monitor and the TV screen when attached to a laptop.

Image size: resolution 100 pixels/inch, height 1200 pixels. width 1920 pixels. Some images are larger to cater for pans, zooms, etc.

Project Options: Screen - Mode: Full screen, Virtual size of slide: 1280 : 800, Fixed size of pixels box is not ticked.

When publishing a show for DVD I have chosen Pal which is my TV, a menu aspect ration of 16 : 9, auto TV aspect ratio, 7000 bit rate, auto video type, anti flicker ticked, MPEG audio format, 256 bit rate, add chapters ticked at 1 min.

Any suggestions to solve the two problems will be appreciated.

Ernest

Hi Ernest

The aspect ratio of your initial show needs to be 16-9 not 16-10 to fill your TV screen. & the slide sizes a minimum of 1920 x 1080 pixels, with fixed slide size ticked.

Yachtsman1.

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Ernest

You need to get rid of all traces of 1024x768 which is the old 4-3 aspect ratio. However when burning a DVD, the last time I used PTE to do do this I didn't have "Fix Size" ticked & it came out OK for my 32inch flat screen TV. When I show old shows made at 1024x768 with fix size ticked there is a black border. The screen shot shows my settings, with fix size ticked, which is how I publish an Exe, so if someone shows it on a screen with a larger aspect ratio it doesn't stretch the image & reduce the quality. Hope that isn't confusing.

Yachtsman1.

post-5560-0-19836100-1417183732_thumb.jp

I have done a number of tests using slides having a 19:9 aspect ratio and the show also 16:9.

The slides are sized 1920 x 1080 pixels with a resolution of 100 pixels/inch. Also did some tests with the slide side increased to 2129 x 1200 pixels.

After publishing the show for DVD the resolution is very poor and the images not sharp. I am able to view the DVD on the PC but not using a DVD player. When I previously published a show using version 7.5 I could view the show uing the DVD player, but the results were also poor.

I also get poor results when using PTE's video builder and and Nero to burn the DVD. The DVD can be viewed on both the PC and using a DVD player.

Any advise will be appreciated.

Erno,

Firstly the resolution of your images is iirelevant to some degree because they are reduced to 768x576 to make the DVD.

Depending on the quality of your DVD Player etc a DVD can be quite good when played through a DVD - but not as good as an EXE File played on a computer.

I use a BluRay DVD Player to play my standard DVDs through my TV connected via a good quality HDMI cable and the results are good, but not in the same league as the EXE approach.

Another alternative is to make a 1920x1080 MP4 and play that on your TV's Media Player (if available).

DG