WnSoft Forums

VHS to MP4 and/or DVD

David Porter

Has anybody any experience of converting old VHS tapes to MP4 files or to DVDs. I have a large number of quite short A/Vs and videos which I want to put on a USB memory stick for playing on my TV or combine them on to DVDs. I have seen converters which I could afford up to £50 but would appreciate some input and recommendations before investing.

Many thanks.

Guest Yachtsman1

Has anybody any experience of converting old VHS tapes to MP4 files or to DVDs. I have a large number of quite short A/Vs and videos which I want to put on a USB memory stick for playing on my TV or combine them on to DVDs. I have seen converters which I could afford up to £50 but would appreciate some input and recommendations before investing.

Many thanks.

Hi Mick

I bought one about 8 years ago & ruined more DVD's than you can shake a stick at. Then last year I decided to convert the 30 odd VHSC tapes we took during our wedding trip to the US in 1995, so I bought a cheepo VHSC camcorder from Ebay as I didn't have any means of playing the tapes & a set of conversion leads I think from Amazon, which came with software & converted the lot. It's time consuming, as a 30 minute tape takes 30 minutes to convert, but the results were OK. I'll check out my Amazon account & let you have the model I bought.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

Hi Eric,

Thanks for the link which I have checked it out. Is it any good bearing in mind the quality of the VHS tapes will not be that good and does it convert to an MP4 file? Mind you it's quite cheap so may get one and just try it out.

Regards,

Mickp

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Eric,

Thanks for the link which I have checked it out. Is it any good bearing in mind the quality of the VHS tapes will not be that good and does it convert to an MP4 file? Mind you it's quite cheap so may get one and just try it out.

Regards,

Mickp

Hi Mick

The quality will not improve, mine looked slightly fuzzy. Also you have to take into account that the aspect ratio of VHS/VHSC is 4-3 not 16-9 or whatever you use, so your image will have black sides. It does convert to MP4. I've attached a screen shot from one of the tapes, however because the tape is paused to get the screen shot it won't be as sharp as the movie.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

post-5560-0-54159900-1423059173_thumb.jp