WnSoft Forums

batch resize in Photoshop5.5

Garris

I can not remember if PS 5.5 has Batch processing. If it has I can run you through the steps.

To find out: Click on File. In the dropdown menu it should have "Automate" if it has it hold your mouse over it and you should see "Batch". If this is there post back. Telling me if all the pictures in your folder are in one mode or some in Portrait others in Landscape.

Hi Garris

If I remember rightly in 5.5 you must first set up an action by recording your chosen resize first and save the action for example 1024x768 at 72 dpi and save this action presuming you know how to record an action go to file > automate > Batch > action select your saved resize action> choose folder you are resizing > designate a destination folder for instance a folder in my documents or on your desktop and it should play this action for all files in the original folder copying them to the destination folder hope this helps

I often use IrfanView for bulk resizing because it's simple and does an excellent job and let's you adjust the jpg compression. It's also free here:

IrfanView

I gave a brief explaination of how to do it in the following thread in a different forum:

DPReview Forum

Just a thought...works good for me...and alot less complicated...once you figure it out.

• 2 weeks later...

Quickflicks; yes I have automate-batch. I need to learn how to record a resize. Listed under SET is " Default Actions" only. Under ACTIONS is "Large Buttons, Woodframe, sepia toning etc. Yes I have portrait & Landscape images. Can I process them under one action or use two actions and select the images to process? Will be off for a week but check back here around 4/16. thanks.

Thanks for this post. It solved an on-going problem (er.. 'challenge') for me too.

What nice timing :rolleyes: gee I love you guys!

JG

Ok so where is the photo shop expert for this one ?? :D thought I read somewhere we had one !!! to record an action in 5.5 open up the action dialouge box in 7 it is different and as I am using 7 then it is probably a SLIGHTLY different process as the box differs from what I can remember in 5.5 you go to the bottom of the actions window for the record button a small square turns red when clicked ( I think ...... different in 7) you of course have a file open jpg or whatever now resize said file and click end record name the action you now have an action saved maybe someone with 5.5 ( gotta be a few 5.5ers out there ) will verifiy or correct me if I went wrong which is a good even bet , I am NO EXPERT :lol:

ps you can email me if you like and if I can help out I will

PPPS if you hover the courser across the buttons they will give out their function I THINK but either ways you have to record an action ( any action sharpen / desaturate / levels anything you care to repeat you can have lots of specific actions or multiple actions for as long as you are recording this process will save every action you do for a given set ) )

yes I have automate-batch. I need to learn how to record a resize. Listed under SET is " Default Actions" only. Under ACTIONS is "Large Buttons, Woodframe, sepia toning etc. Yes I have portrait & Landscape images.  Can I process them under one action or use two actions and select the images to process?  Will be off for a week but check back here around 4/16. thanks.

Garris,

Best would be to start by creating a new set (if not, your actions will be recorded among the default actions); see:

scriptnewset.jpg

Then, you create an action and give a name and a few parameters

scriptnewscript.jpg

and start the recording

scriptrecord.jpg

As you have portrait and landscape images, it would be easier for later batch processing to sort them into two different folders; but you can also process them all in one go if you choose the resize unit in % and not in pixels (though it works only if all your images are of the same size, and you have to try first to find the correct percentage to apply). I still recommend to sort portrait and landscape images into different folders.

Do not include the opening of the picture in your action, and start the recording once an image has been opened; if not, when you launch the batch process it will try to open the very same image that you opened when recording your action! For the same reason, stop the recording after the image has been processed and do not include the "save" command in the recording of the action. This will be part of the batch processing. Once all "moves" have been recorded, stop the recording (square button on the left).

Try your action on test images and if it works fine, go to File > Automate > Batch; see :

batch1.jpg

Select the action to be performed and be very careful about the "source" and "destination" folders - all images in the "source" location will be processed! - and choose a destination folder different from the source, otherwise the original images will be replaced by the processed ones !

I hope that it is clear - it is simpler to do than to explain (the images and my explanations refer to PShop 6 & 7 but as far as I can remember there is not much difference with v 5.5).

:huh: ???*% ! :huh:

I see that the links to the screenshots do not work :angry:

Well, I'm very sorry... and a bit angry...

These screenshots come from two tutorials that I have made about Actions and Batch processing ... in French (but maybe that an automatic translation and the screenshots would make it understandable enough ?) if you want to try and have a look at

the tutorial on Actions

the tutorial on Batch processing

I have a link to Gerard's "Digital Basics" in English which I have kept as one of "My Favourites" and refer to from time to time. It is an excellent reference and I am hoping that there are similar translations to the current links which are being quoted. What are automatic translations?

Ron [uK]

Automatic translations are usually between bad and very bad (as a check I once had my page 'digital basics' re-translated into French, and the result was quite funny ! but I had difficulties to understand fully what I was supposed to have written :unsure: ).

Nevertheless, in this case a machine translation can be useful and enough to follow my explanations - furthermore, the screenshots being those of the English version of Photoshop, that should make things easier to understand.

As these tutorials are fairly 'popular', I've asked an English-speaking colleague to be so kind as to translate them (he is the one who already did the translation of 'digital basics'); but I don't know when this will be ready.

Just for fun... here is an example of machine translation of the introduction of my page 'digital basics' and below the original 'human translation'...

[machine translation via Google]

The numerical one takes more and more place in our activities of photographers, who it is of the catch of sights, the final improvement or the image processing, or of the impression. We note however that if the hardware and software are spread largely and quickly, it does not go from there in the same way for the basic concepts; we thus will try to take stock.

[Human translation]

Digital technology is becoming increasingly important in all areas of photography - from taking pictures, through image retouching and processing, to printing. However, although the equipment and software are rapidly gaining ground, understanding of the fundamentals is sometimes sadly lacking; this article attempts to fill in some of the gaps.

I have gotten lately many emails not from this forum but from Rob Galbraith's for similar questions, because I was promising to put tuts on the web, but never really finished them. Now I am finishing them, but again I am also working on the same ones to bring a slide show together. I get very often carried away or loose interest in things I should do. Perhaps I need to get my head fixed.

The tuts of Gerad are very nicely made and easy to follow they have every thing a beginner needs.

Must finish my ones now.

Was not reading this topic for a while.

Here is the first step for actions.

Not what was asked for. Is is a response to folks emailing me for a fast workflow to print two 5x7 pictures on one sheet of paper.

This automation can make a sheet in less than 5 seconds. Since I am a bit active now I will make a page or two to answer the question of how to resize etc. using actions.

The Navigation on top is not working yet, because I am still working on this pages. Use the buttons at the bottom.

My Webpage