WnSoft Forums

Opening PTE Adjustor.

I am trying to open Al's PTE Adjustor.

I have to open it in 2 stages:

1 Open it without enabling the macros to open Excel.

2 Then open the macros.(This is to avoid an error message the I have 2 files open in Excel)

I am using Excel 97 and in the box:

"Enter directory for thumbnail pgm:" I enter the path to the folder that contains my .exe and .pte files and receive the standard error message:

"Microsoft Excel has encountered a problem............

May I have suggestions on how to overcome this problem?

Rodger.

Hi Rodger,

What is your operating system?

It's strange that you have to open it in two stages, as you need to "enable macros" for it to work properly.

I suggest there may be an incompatibility problem between your system setup and Excel. For example, you may not have all of the Excel features enabled than you need to run Adjustor, such as the proper "References" from the "Office 8 Object Library". Check the Notes for more info on how to set these up.

If you wish, and if the problem persists, email me off-line and I will try to help you sort things out. :)

Is anyone else having the same problem?

Rodger,

I had the same problem w/ Excel 97 on Win XP Home. Try making a change in the file, changing it back, and saving the file before you do anything else. (I think I changed an empty cell on the Variables tab). Then try to enter the directory for the thumbnail program. That made it work for me. Don't know why, but it worked.

Hope that helps. When you get it running, you will love Al's Adjustor. It's a great help.

John L

John,

Thanks for your help. Glad you got yours running OK.

Rodger,

It works fine for me in Win XP Pro, so I'm afraid I can't replicate your problem in order to trouble-shoot it. John found that when he deleted the jpeg reference in cell "B-2" on the "Variables" tab, and resaved it that it worked better. However, if you do try this, be sure to delete this cell and save the adjustor file (using exactly the same name) before clicking on any of the other control buttons. It might be best to create a new folder for the new file so you don't over-write the original in case you have to go back to it. Good luck!

• 4 weeks later...

Don't know if this is the same problem or not, but I tried opening Al's Adjustor sheet last night and was told I had my security set too high as the macros were not "signed".

I lowered the security (within Excel, not system security, from Tools -> Macro -> Security) to medium, and now it asks me every time I open it if it should enable macros. I say yes, but I still have to answer the question. I could lower the security to Low, but that is not recommended.

I am using Excel 2002 and XP Home.

Al, any chance of signing the macros? Don't know what that means in systems and $ terms.

Dave,

I have to click on "yes" too, to enable the macros every time I open Adjustor. For me it is a minor annoyance, so I doubt if I will be issuing a new version just for this. I'll look into it next time I put out a new version (no earlier than next winter, as the weather is too nice here now to spend more time in my basement playroom than I have to. :lol: )

Sorry for the inconvenience. :)

David

You are contributing already by asking your questions. The answers help both the new and old in refreshing our memories in using this excellent programme PicsToExe.

Good luck

Ron [uK]