WnSoft Forums

Presentation of PTE

Anyone---I have to give a presentation to a large audience using a PTE program now in the making. Please tell me the best way to project it onto a large screen--what equipment to use--and in general what do I look out for? Any problems involved, etc. Since I am not doing the projecting myself I shall need detailed help if possible in order to convey it to the projectionist.

Also is it advisable to put part of the program on hold for an oral explanation or is it better to wait until the program runs completely in as much as I shall be using music during the slide show.

Many thanks

Barbara :o

Hi Barbara,

When I show an audience my PTE project I always use my beamer (Epson). Is there not a beamer available at this area ??? (because you are speaking of a large screen and a projectionist!)

If not you should use a XGA beamer (1024x 768) with about 2000 Ansi Lumen for good results (depending of the darkness of the room and projecting distance). But there are many internetsites where you can fill in your specifications and which show you the results to choose from.

For the sound I use a woofer and 2 small speakers (Altec Lansing) which is easy to carry and is very good. Than I connect these to my Laptop and that is all.

About running the program in total or pausing in between. It depends on the type of show. With or without buttons? Maybe a good show should be self-explanatory? Maybe other members can help you further with that ?

succes

Michel Verhoef

As a viewer of many such shows, just a few general points:

However good the show, attention starts to wander after (at most) about 10 minutes. So make sure that there is a change in activity, even if it's just a pause for explanation.

In my experience audiences welcome the input and comments of a real person as opposed to a pre-recorded narration. Music is great, of course, but allow some space/scope for "real-time" intervention and comments by the author (yourself).

Please don't use too many fancy bits just because you can! Limit yourself to very few, carefully chosen transition effects and be very careful that the music and background used complement the images rather than competing with them.

On technical matters, you'll obviously be constrained by the digital projector available. You can read some helpful background on these here:

http://www.ivojo.co.uk/projector-guide.htm

Don't rely solely on the computer's speaker. Use an extension with a couple of amplified speakers (they don't need to be too fancy - I've used normal computer extension speakers that have amplification built-in).

Above all, make sure you know your presentation backwards and relax!

Guest Techman1

Barbara,

Another thing you might want to suggest to whomever is running the show is to copy your PTE presentation(s) onto the harddisk drive as oppose to running from the CD. This should ensure that it will run as smoothly as possible. But, as the others have already said, "Test everything prior to the presentation to make sure it goes well".

Try to find out what resolution the projector will be and build your PTE show to match, but don't make it higher. In other words, if the projector you are going to have available only projects 800x600, don't create your slideshow as 1024 x 768.

PTE slideshows work very well for this type of presentation to a large audience. The quality of the show is wonderful!

Good luck.

Fred