WnSoft Forums

Truely Understanding Transitions

Hi Guy's and Gal's,

Got a Q on transitions.

I thought they were just a simple pick one and be done. How wrong!

First on the list is the thickness of the smoothing line. Haven't gone there yet because I'm killing myself trying to get the trans speed right. I didn't look everywhere, but haven't seen anything to explain this option much at all. If anyone can point me in the right direction or comment, I'd appericate it greatly.

Back to the trans speed, after my 20th rev. I'm still not happy on the right speed. I am happy with my smaller images at 1500 transing OK but on my full screen images, they are too fast at 2000/2500 but appear pretty good at 3500. Problem is this seems to be good but too slow and still not always perfect. It may be that the images vary too much in there size format from one to another.

I know this is not answerable without seeing the show, so here's a link if you care to view and comment: http://www.delphiwebhosting.com/kari_PtE.exe.

It's a trunkcated version of the full wedding show I listed previous with many revisions. Most all of the larger images are set at 3500 on the trans. The smaller ones run at 1500. I changed the PtE ini file adding both options suggested.

Look forward to hearing from you.

:D Dave

Hi Dave,

Just a quick one, I haven't seen your show yet, as I am writing from work. But the smothing line only works or apperent in some of the transitions, i.e. page turn ect. You say 3500 seems a bit slow but in the fade disolves this speed helps to reveal the "third image".

There was an interesting discussion a while back on this subject which would be worth your while digging out. Unfortunatly the project was followed through bt olly one member, I am one of the no showers :huh:

I find it adds to a show to mix and match disolve times. I tend to stick to the fade as I am "a twin projector 35mm slide luddite" Don't use an efect just because you can, but because the show needs it.

Regards

Alan

Dave,

I had a look at your show and it seems pretty good to me. Most transitions are smooth on my P4, but the slower the pc, the more "flutter" there will be, so you have to think of your prospective audience, too.

One thing you may have noticed is that where you are transitioning to a dark image from a light one, and vice versa, the flicker is more noticeable. Sometimes you can plan the order of the images so that this is minimized.

It's going to be a nice show, though - I'm sure the bride will be amazed! I like the music you selected, too. :)

Hello Dave

For me too all the transitions behave very smoothly and I didn't notice any flickering at all.

I have a PII, 1GHZ with a GeForce MMX II video card. As you see, not a very recent machine :(

What a good end slide ! :D:D

Enya's music fits very well to the mood of your presentation.

Patrick

Hello Dave, bis

Just a curiosity.

Your presentation end's with the last shot after 2 min and 30 sec,

.... and your music background, after 8 minutes and 20 sec !!!

That's why this very short show is 26 Mb big !

Regards

Patrick

I didn't do any timing but with me the images froze with the bride and a bridesmaid puckering their lips and the music continued on and on until eventually I pressed ESC.

Ron [uK]

Ron and Patrick,

Dave did mention that it is a truncated show - maybe he left the music as is, and tossed out some of the images. :unsure: I wouldn't mind seeing the whole show. :)

Sorry Guys, I did leave the music running. The show goes for another 80+ images. I promise to post the whole show in a few days when it's totally done.

I can't leave "ronwil" with just "puckering" on his screen :) and "alrobin" has to see the 5 star leg & garter shot!

I just wanted to be sure running 3500 on my trans speed was OK. It seemed to be OK to me running on a old P3 766, but after you look at a show for a 100 times, you lose it to some degree.

Hi Dave,

Just a quick one, I haven't seen your show yet, as I am writing from work. But the smothing line only works or apperent in some of the transitions, i.e. page turn ect. You say 3500 seems a bit slow but in the fade disolves this speed helps to reveal the "third image".

There was an interesting discussion a while back on this subject which would be worth your while digging out. Unfortunatly the project was followed through bt olly one member, I am one of the no showers  

Allan, this is very interesting. You made three points that I'd like to here more on.

If you or anyone else can elaborate on them it would be great.

Thanx,

Dave

As an ancient I enjoyed the "Puckering" :P

Ron [uK]