WnSoft Forums

Publishing to web

tkt

Hi,

I hope their is room for a newbie here. I am a photographer and use this software to preview images for my clients. Sales have increased nicely :) . Now I am interested in publishing a slideshow to my website. I designed the site with frontpage. Is there any hope for me? Thanks in advance.

Tiffany

Hi, Tiffany,

Welcome to the Forum! There's always room for more!

You can upload a PTE slideshow file to your website and save it there for others to download and play, but you cannot publish it on the web as the files are too large, and it would take too long for the images to download while the show was playing.

If you upload and save it to your site, make a reference to it on one of the pages so others can find it and download it. You can see an example of such an arrangement on my own web page HERE .

Al,

Thanks SOO much! The arrangement you have on your site is exactly what I am hoping to accomplish. If I understand you...I should place the file in a Frontpage folder and then upload it to my server? Then I can reference that link to an active page?

My server doesn't require FTP for frontpage....is their a way other than the publish function to get my info to my site? Thanks again.

tiffany

Tiffany,

I use Front Page to create the pages, and then free utility, WS_FTP95, to do the actual uploading.

You can also upload and download to and from your site by typing your web address, e.g. "ftp//www.mypage.com", in the address bar of your browser, and then entering the userid and password when requested.

In IExplorer this opens a page similar to a Windows Explorer menu to which you can drag and drop your PTE file from Windows Explorer, e.g. "myshow.exe". Hope this helps. :)

Al,

are you sick of me yet? :huh: I have UL the exe file to my site via FTP. Now, do I need to put it into a specific folder? public, private, create a new one? I'm still can't figure out how to get the link to attach it to a new page in FP.....

Thanks

tif

Tiffany,

No, how could I be sick of you - I don't even know you? :)

It sounds like you are almost there. It depends on where you put the file on your site as to what you need to add to your page in FP.

You probably added it to the root of your web site. In that case, just open your main page in FP, and add a line with a hyperlink to the name of your slide show (with no pathnames included). Then save this main page file, and upload the new version of the main page to your site. Then browse to your web site, and test it out by clicking on the hyperlinked name or image, or however you added the URL link. If this doesn't work, come back to me and I'll help you trouble-shoot it further.

If you don't want the link on the main page, you can add it to any other existing page, or to a brand-new page, which in turn has a link to an existing page on your site. Be sure to make note of any sub-folders, as you will have to include the name of the subfolder in your link, but FP will do all this for you.

Tiffany,

No link yet, so I presume you haven't made it work yet? If you are having trouble getting the link to work, send me the address to your site, and I will have a look at the HTML code from this end.

By the way, your FP should add the HTML code for the link to your slideshow automatically.

Once you drag and drop the slide-show file, "MyShow.exe" into the FP file list on the left-hand side, it will be be accessible to your page. Then open the page you want to add the link to by double-clicking on its name in the list, and add your reference to the slide show. Highlight one of the words or images on the page, right-click on it, select "hyperlink", browse through the list of possible files shown and select your slide-show file name.

This will add a URL to the file. Save the page in FP, and upload it to your site. You mentioned that you successfully uploaded the slide-show file, so you don't need to upload it again.

Hope this helps.