WnSoft Forums

Automated Excel routine

alrobin

In a previoius thread, Harold B described a method using Excel for making changes to the timing data in a .pte (v3.80) file produced using the timeline synchronization option. (ref. http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums//index...ct=ST&f=2&t=142 )

I have produced a set of macros and a short instruction file to facilitate this procedure.

Anyone interested in trying it out, please contact me and I will email you a copy of each file. The spreadsheet file is only 62 kb. in size.

Later, when there are no more requests for additions and/or (heaven help me) 'bugs', I can post it to Beechbrook or to my own website for general availability.

Ciao,

Al

Further to my earlier note about the automated Excel routine for modifying PTE show timing, I have placed a "beta" version (1.02) of the spreadsheet and a readme text file on my web site at:

Excel Time Adjustor

It only works with synchronized slide-shows. Some day I hope to add other automated features for other types of AV shows as well. It is particularly useful for globally moving all sequence times backward or forward by a specified number of milliseconds without having to manually adjust each of them on the sync timeline. Or, one can manually adjust a number of times individually and precisely in a single table without having to go to the timeline and tweak the timing there. It really boils down to a matter of preference, but at least this system provides one more option.

A note of caution is in order: one has to be very careful not to create impossible timing commands, which would interfere with the times necessary to implement the transitions themselves, or would be ambiguous (e.g. one time later than that for a later transition.)

I have not tested it with shows created with the new version 4.0 beta, but I see no reason why it would not be compatible with these as well.

Many thanks to those who have helped me iron out some of the early nuisance bugs! I am sure there will be a few more. :D

I would appreciate feedback in the case of problems with the system, and also suggestions as to improvements. Or, better yet, maybe someone else can come up with an even more user-friendly version of the system. Igor? (one of the items in my Christmas list was the ability to print out a PTE data table with this sort of information on it - it would be even better if such a table could be used to input new data directly to the program while tweeking the operating parameters.)

Enjoy! :)

Ciao,

Al

Many thanks for your excellent utility from me too, Al!

I found it really useful and convenient, and can truly save a lot of time.

It is very interesting also when we insert some new pictures in the middle of a show!

You're all very welcome!

I have to thank Harold for giving me the idea in the first place - he was the one who advised us that one could use Excel to access the timing data.

Also thanks to JRR for beta-testing and helping to discover some of the more serious bugs in the routine.

Ciao,

Al

• 2 weeks later...

After a week of intensive design and trouble-shooting, with the help of several PTE forum members, I am pleased to announce the availablity of "PTE Time Adjustor" model, version 1.09 (beta). It is still "beta" as I am not positive that it is completely stable, and want to open it up to further use by forum members. (When the number of emails decreases to only one per day, I will issue it as version 2.0 :) )

The address for the new version is PTE_Time_Adjustor

The new model has several features such as:

1. Automates the selection and transfer of timing data from the ".pte" file to an Excel spreadsheet, and vice versa.

2. Provides the ability to advance or delay the times for each sequence in the entire show by the same amount.

3. If desired, distributes all sequences evenly over the time available, while retaining the start time of the second sequence.

4. Facilitates changing the length of time for designated transitions between sequences.

5. Provides for changing the default transition timing in the spreadsheet.

6. Automatically sets the transition time for a "Quick" transition to the default 0.020 seconds.

- this solves the current problem where the timeline displays the numerical input time rather than the default time for a "cut".

7. Shows in red any timing conflicts, either with the sequence start times, or the transition time being longer than the time available between sequences.

8. Colour-codes the "quick" transitions ("cuts") and the transitions using "default" parameters.

9. Provides a handy table for viewing all timing at once, thereby being able to quickly analyze one's PTE show and trouble-shoot it.

And, as before, I would appreciate feedback about any problems you have in running it.

Enjoy! :)

Ciao,

Al

• 2 weeks later...

I've finally uploaded a new version of the "Adjustor" model (Excel spreadsheet),along with some demo files, and a sample "typical" slide show along with original slides, music, and ".pte" file to play with, to my website, at: Adjustor Model .

I have streamlined the operation of the model, added the ability to enter in specific "delay" (on-screen) times for times between transitions, and added protection to prevent accidentally overwriting the wrong cells. It should prove to be much more user-friendly than version 1.09.

As before, please let me know of any glitches. I hope to keep adding new features to it, as I'm finding it a good mental exercise, and am learning new things, all the while, about programming tricks in Visual Basic. :)

Ciao,

Al

For anyone who downloaded the model overnight, I have just posted a small correction to the main Excel "Adjustor" file to permit changes to the default transition time. (as of 9:00 AM, EST, or 14:00 GMT, 01/02/03). Sorry for any inconvenience to anyone who downloaded it since I first posted it last night! Doesn't matter how careful you are, there is always something to trip you up! :)

Ciao,

Al

Thanks, Guido, for your remarks.

And you're more than welcome - you've certainly done your share of work in providing us with useful tips and advice about PTE! ;)

I just noticed another glitch in the model, however - seems when you "Transfer" the data back into PTE, it sets all the transitiion times to 0.020, the time for a "quick" transition. Not good! Thought I had tested that, but I must have made another change since then which fouled things up. Shows how important it is to run thorough tests after every change!!

So, I've since uploaded a corrected model to my web site.

Sorry about the inconvenience to those of you who have already downloaded it since I posted it 1 Feb. and who may have ended up with corrupted data in your favourite slide shows! Hope you kept a backup!

Ciao,

Al