WnSoft Forums

Sound track

bobbinman

Hi I'm another new member and having a good time with PTE.

I was wondering what you all use to edit your sound tracks. I want to be able to fade up and down bits of music in time with the slide show or adjust the lenght of a sound track to fit better with my shows.

Sorry if this is off topic.

Thanks

Chris

Hi Chris

Audacity is great for small projects and it is free. Be aware though that if you intend to keep the tracks separate it is Very demanding of RAM. In my experience 15 to 20 tracks needs 1GB RAM. Also keep a backup of the Audacity working files as it can loose track of the odd file in complicated projects.

For smaller projects with only a few separate tracks it is hard to beat.

Audition (ex Cool Edit) seems to be well liked.

Hi Chris,

If you are just getting started with sound I would recomend Audacity, it more than handle what you or any of us will need to do. Most shows need only 4 tracks to mix the soundtrack, and with abit of planing you should be able to do everything with 4.

"Sgt. Peppers Lonley Harts Club Band" was mixed on 4 track!!

I lay out my tracks like this,

1 Music L

2 Music R

(most digital sound editors actually present 2 tracks as 1 stereo

waveform if so 1 will do.)

3 Voice.

4 FX

If you find you need more you can always mix (called bouncing in the trade) say voice & music to one track and this frees up track 2 for more work.

As your music will be secquencial, there is no need to use a track for each piece.

NB dont delete the music from your HD until you are sure the project is finished. The waveform you see in the editor is only a virtual file of the sound files like .pte and you only secure the mix when you export to mp3 ect,

Hope that has confused you :D

Alan

Hi Chris

I have made a few presentations now and have added soundtrack using Acoustica MP3 Audio MIxer.

It is also a multi track mixer which would allow you to do all that you want to do.

I have used it for mixing tacks, splicing several pieces of music, adding spoken commentary and adding sound effects. You can also fade volume up or down and pan each track to the left or right channel if you wish.

It costs roughly the same as PTE.

Gogs

Guest guru

Oleg, SoundForge is an excellent, professional software, which uses not too Ram, but for this reason is rather slow. Pity that its price is US $399.96... (without plug-ins).