WnSoft Forums

Synchronized sound

GLS48

Hi All,

On a couple of occasions I have generated an EXE file on one computer, then moved it to a second machine and discovered the sound track to run short. I searched old posts but so far have been unable to find any helpful information. Is there a way to assure the sound stays in sync with the show?

Thanks,

George

I had this problem not long ago. The show ran fine on the 2.4GHz P4 on which it was authored but when I ran it on a 1.2GHz P-III laptop the music got out of sync at the end.

It was recommended that I reduce the size of my images. Since they are being displayed on the laptop screen or projector I resampled them all to 1024x768 and increased the compression slightly. This gave an overage image size of only 70-80K. I could then play the 12-minute show on both machines and it stays perfectly in sync.

George,

PTE does tend to run at different speeds on different computers with different processing capabilities, and thus get slightly out of sync with the music. However, unless some of your images are far too large or the transitions too close together, if you synchronize the show using the timeline, the images should stay perfectly in-sync on all computers.

With the new capabilities of PTE v. 4.20, it is difficult to give a rule of thumb for image sizes, especially if the show will be shown on a new-vintage pc with high processor speed, plenty of RAM, and a good video card. I have been able to use images up to 1600 x 1200 pixels in size, and been able to put the transitions tightly together, and the show has still performed smoothly on my newer pc. Others on the Forum are using image sizes up to 1 Mb, without any problem.

It depends on the intended audience, though, as if you are directing the show to persons with a wide variety of pc's, then the "rule of thumb" is: images no larger than about 200 mb, and 1/2 sec between transitions.

Lesson learned. I have not bothered to downsize any of the images so far as all shows have work flawlessly on my P4 3gig hyper threading machine with 2 gig of ram. It is when I moved a file to my 1 gig laptop that the sync changed. As you may expect when the images came from a Digital Rebel at high resolution, 6.3 Megs, they are 3072X2048 and average around 5 Megs each. I have since resized images for two shows to under 200k and they run fine with no perceptible lose in quality.

Thanks Al.

George