WnSoft Forums

Capture resolution

Kenneth

Hi, This is my first posting which I hope I am handling OK.

I need to obtain a slide scanner and note a wide range of resolutions- in dpi (and price) I am just starting in this activity although have quite a lot of experience in video work.

My computer is quite fast (2.0 Ghz) and my monitor is set at 1024x768 pixels.

What resolution 1800 or 3600 dpi ?

What colour depth 36 bit or 48 bit ?

I know these questions are rather basic but I imagine are the bedrock of sucessful presentations.

I thank you for any advice you can give me.

Kenneth

If your intention is only to scan for viewing on screen, then the lower scanning resolution you quote is more than adequate. If, however, you intend to progress to printing you images then go for the best spec. you can get. As for bit depth, it depends. If you intend to do a reasonable amount of processing using Photoshop, then go for the greater - this is because image editing is a generally a destructive process and you need to start with as much data as possible. It's a good idea, however, to check that your software can handle the greater bit depth - Photoshop CS is fine, older versions have more limited (but still useful) support.

If you need more help, drop me a line & I'll try to explain further.

Hello Kenneth ,

1800 or 3600 dpi ? whichever you go for make sure this is the true optical resolution and not just interpolated by software some of the claims on scanners are misleading good luck with your switch to stills ;)

Thank you ContaxMan and Clive for your prompt reply.

Yes I am interested in screen presentation and your replays have helped me quite a lot.

What a splendid hobby AV, Video and even old sprocketed film is bringing together such interesting people.

Thank you again.