WnSoft Forums

Features in competing software and PTE?

Ernst

I have seen an increasing interest in this forum -as other software competing software for slideshows advances in its development and introduces new and useful features- than many features of that other software be incorporated into PTE. Why?

Why not go there and buy the other one? How far do we want to push, induce, recommend PTE´s development, and how far we would like it to go, based on what we see in other areas of cybermarket? Why? What are the merits of the other software? What should be wished here?

Just curious!

Regards

Ernst

For what it is worth I would like to add penyworth to this topic.

This wnsoft forum... IS not for xyz slideshow or popicalpics incorporated!

As such I feel this forum should deal with wnsofts products and contain help by way of advanced workers instructions to aid the beginner and those seeking specific advice in efficient use of PTE.

I also feel that PTE was offered at a very reasonable price taking into account the enormous amount of work that the developer has put into it .. it is indeed a bargain. On top of this is the free upgrades and support. ... The provision of this forum is yet another benefit available to the users.

All in all if xyz slideshow or popicalpics or those who wish to extol the virtues of these other programmes should seek these other product suppliers to provide their own forum for those who wish to make comment about their wares.

Truth is ... not many of the others have a forum ... offer much in support .. have free upgrades.. or even upgrades at all! ..... the initial purchase price of their products is mostly higher ... If a forum exists it is often moderate it to prevent adverse comments of the product being mentioned or "other adverts for competing software " being promoted within it.

There is no problem for members of the forum/users of PTE within this forum giving help and drawing attention to the use of other softwear to aid and enhance the production of a slide presentation in PTE .. But standalone "competetion" discusions and blatant adverts has no place in this forum.

No .. I am well pleased with PTE .. and will stick with it as long as it is capable of providing my needs. Ok some things that people want the programme to do are merely wish lists yet .. but PTE is being developed all the time ... upgrades are released on a regular basis .. All this takes time and needs testing. I for one will stick with PTE and I have no interest in reading in here anything about a competitive product.

That information I can find elswhere.

muggsie

• 3 weeks later...

I second comments by Muggsie and cherfoto.

I have tried some of these other programs, and, from what I have seen, and for what I want to do in AV, PTE is the best (e.g. quality of dissolves, ease of building a synched show, simplicity, etc).

It is true that many other products excel in certain other specific areas, and some of these features would be nice to have in PTE. Then it would be an even better program. This is to be expected.

But, for my specific application, I could not adapt to using any one of the other programs I have tried out. At the present time, PTE is the best for me. For someone wanting to do commercials, or incorporate all kinds of fancy transitions and graphics, maybe some other software would be better. This, too, is normal.

Another thing we have to remember is that no one softwar ever does it all. One has to "mix and match" different software when it comes to graphics and multimedia applications. This is very evident in the desktop publishing area, where a mixture of several different programs are often used in creating a product.

Sometimes, when a developer tries to add too many features to a single program, that software bogs-down, and becomes difficult to manage (witness Bill Gates' products). I don't think we want PTE to reach that situation. If it tries to accomplish too much, then the nice smooth dissolves may become jerky again unless we all upgrade our pc's. ;)

I witnessed this happen painfully, and in detail, with the old "Lotus 1-2-3" spreadsheet system. It was a great business application until the developer started to add in all types of bells and whistles, and soon the program was taking twice as long to load up, and twice as difficult to learn how to use, and twice as unreliable. And I found I didn't really need most of all the new features, either. They were adding them mainly in order to "keep up with the Jones's"!

However, I'm not against changes, and adding of new features, if they are well thought out and there is a real need for them. Like the things I have asked Igor for! :(

Ciao,

Al