WnSoft Forums

Stuttering dunring playback from CD

pjc

Hi

I have just completed an 85 mb presentation (170 images) for a client. The presentation runs perfectly when opened from the hard drive but when it runs from a CD (which is what it'll used on to send to other clients) in stutters on transitions and misses shots out.

Can anyone tell me why this is happening and more importantly how I can fix it please?

Thanks.

Phill

Hi Ken

Thanks for the reply. I thought that might be the issue although my PC is just about as quick as you can get and still struggles to run it properly from the CD drive.

The problem is my client doesn't want to ask their clients to do what you suggest (indeed, what I suggested to begin with) as they want the presentation to start as soon as the CD is inserted ie autoplay.

Are there no alternatives? Will make a lot of difference if I compress the photos more?

Thanks again for your help.

Phill

Phill,

Welcome!

Yes, compressing the images should make a major improvement to the "stuttering" problem. A rule of thumb, especially if you are giving your show to someone else to run, and don't know the capabilities of their system, is not to use images over 150 to 200 Mb. in size. (medium size images, and 50% jpeg compression). Slow dissolves (over 3 seconds) work more smoothly, too. You can of course vary these parameters to suit the situation.

You will also notice more flickering on images dissolving from light to dark, or dark to light (i.e. large changes in brightness).

Hope this helps! :)

Wellcome, Phill

To avoid this kind of problem, Granot (Boxig) has prepared two utilities ( TempCD and MultiCD) which automatically copy the exe file from CD to a Temp folder in the HD and erase it when the program is closed.

TempCd is for a single .exe and I think that's what you need.

You can download it from Granot's siteWebpage

This utility is a donationware.

Sam

Downloaded said item, followed instructions but when I run the CD i get this meesage:

I have now followed the instructions and I'm gett this error message:

Can't copy

C:/doc..../....////...///....temp/MMBPlayer

Any idea how to fix this?

Sorry, I'm not brilliant with PC's so may appear thick!

Cheers,

Phill

Phill,

I’m quite surprised because both utilities have been well tested. I’m afraid I can not help you as I’m not very expert, and Granot (Boxig) is on holydays and I think he will be back during next month. Anyway Ken’s and Al’s suggestions are to be followed. Did you?

C:/doc..../....////...///....temp/MMBPlayer sounds strange to me I think you must have

C:/Temp/ yourshow.exe

I’ll download TempCD and make new test: I’ll let you know by e-mail

I think Al means 150-200 kB not MB!

Thanks, Roger!

You're right - Kb, not Mb! :unsure: Just wanted to see if anyone reads my posts anymore! :):)

Phill, sorry, I can't help you with Granot's utility either, as I've not used it. However, judging from the size of your file, your images must be larger on average than 200 Kb - maybe a little too much to expect from all the client pc's.

hello all

thanks to all 3 of you who have tried to help....there ARE good people left on earth!!!

first, presentation is now 30 mb as I was using a WAV file not MP3......all images are 200 kb or less now and have reduced the fast transitions where i can but still have problems running from CD on certain pc's ....all at my clients office of course!

have now downloaded the MuiltCD utility as I will be including more than one pres. and it is useful...but having tested it on my lap top it still skips depsite it apparently downloading the pres to a buffer or such like.

anyway, i have taken up enough of your time and thanks again for your help. if you find you can't sleep tonight and suddenyl think of a solution for this, do feel free to email me...i'll be here thinking about all those euros i won't now be getting from the client!!!

Cheers all.

Phill

Phill,

If you are running a show synched to the timeline, you can also have problems if you are not leaving enough time between the end of one transition and the start of the next, so that may be another source of your problems, especially playing from the cd. Start with 1/2 sec, and experiment with shorter times until you find something that is suitable and still works. Lots of "tweaking" required, especially on a more complicated show. You can spend hours at it, but the end results are usually worth the effort. :)

Hi Phil,

You might like to have a look at my Post - just above your origional entry in this section

"Transition Problems Unsmooth" by Conflow.

And in "Pictures ToExe Forum" - "Memory Checked"Cleans out your Memory by Conflow.

You may find a solution in these -

Brian Kelly.Conflow.

Thanks for the info, Brian. I have downloaded the utility for use on my pc. i have been in contact with boxig all week and his utilities have helped. I'm also talking to a techie locally who is trying to designs omething specifically to fix this problem and that will useful in the future.

Phill