WnSoft Forums

Incremental file names?

GLS48

I have posted this on PhotoShop forums but up to now received no response. At least we can usually get a reply here even if not the answer! I want to run an action many times and have it saved each time the action loops. Does someone know how to make “actions” in PhotoShop 7 or 8 save to incremental file names?

Thanks,

George

I tried to do something like this just the other day and couldn't figure out how. :blink:

What I wanted to do was run an action, and when I get to the "Save As" step, do a replace of part of the file name, so that IMG_123 (the original) was saved as test_123. Then the next time I ran it, IMG_269 would be saved as test_269.

I guess this isn't exactly the same as what you were trying to do, but I searched and searched and couldn't figure out how to do it.

So I would be delighted to read an answer here for your situation or mine. Either one would have worked for me. And while I chose not to do it in batch, I could have.

Is the "loop" you're doing runnin in batch against many images or do you intend to "loop" iterations on one image and show incremental results?

Sorry I can't help, but I'm really interesed in the answer! ;)

Hi David,

I'am attempting to emulate a zoom in PTE. I ran a batch file or action on an image where I made a new layer and scaled it up in 1% increments. I can generate dozens of slides in just a few seconds. When I run the resulting set of slides in PTE with just a straight cut, it looks so so. It will take many slides for a 1 second zoom to look right. It will really depend on how fast PTE can play a slide. If this works then it would allow us to also use the same technique to do a pan or a combination pan/zoom. Some of you Photoshop gurus should take up the challenge.

George

Personally, I'm going to wait for Igor to do his magic. He has hinted that the zoom/pan effect might be in the next release. The PTE team seems quite responsive to users' needs, and I know many have asked about this. While it's a cool effect, I don't have an immediate need for it, so I'm happy to wait.

My "automated Save As", on the other hand, is something I would expect PS to do, not PTE. I just can't figure it out yet.

;)

George, as you suggested, in Photoshop I have experimented with a succession of "cropped-resize to 1024-save for web" images but the resultant playback in PTE looks what it is, a number of different sized images. I have tried various settings for image on screen and fade times but although acceptable it is not a true zoom. I agree with David, let us be patient and wait and see.

Ron [uK]