WnSoft Forums

Uninstalling Several PTE Versions

dagrace

I posted a topic right after the first 4.3 beta came out

Topic

which discussed having multiple copies of PTE. I indeed have several copies available and it seems to work fine.

I am interested now (in anticipation of 4.3 final release) in understanding how to uninstall various copies. This subject was touched on in the above topic, but I don't understand it fully yet.

Specifically:

Let's say I have 4.2, 4.3b1, 4.3b6, and 4.3b12 installed. Each is in its own folder in C:\Program Files\PTE43b1, etc.

I predict I will want to install 4.3 (final), and then delete the 4.3 betas. Several courses of action cross my mind:

1) Run the "Uninstall" from "Add/Remove Programs" in the Control Panel. In the above topic, Ken Cox suggested this will uninstall 4.2 (in my example). I don't think I want to do this.

2) In each folder (4.3b1, 4.3b6, 4.3b12) there is a program called uninstall.exe. If I run that in the 4.3b12, is it smart enought to only uninstall b12? Then I run b6's uninstall, etc.?

3) Delete the folder C:\Program Files\PTE43b1. Does that mess up the registry? I was under the impression that nowadays you never just delete the pgm folder.

Note that I am NOT concerned about the downloaded zip files. They are stored elsewhere and are not part of this story.

I suppose I could leave them all there. They aren't very big. But I'm not sure I want to have 27 versions of PTE on my computer. :blink: I don't mind having several for beta testing, but someday I want to clean up.

Thanks in advance for the help. :)

I believe this will work, I haven't tried it as I only have two versions (the last release and the latest beta) which I am happy keeping installed. (I am delighted with the new 4.3 I can't see me wanting to go back to 4.2)

If you install the full version in the same directory as the last full version (install 4.3 in the 4.2 directory or even in its own new directory) then that becomes the current directory that is used. Then it is a simple process of deleting all the beta directories. I only have one version of Pictures to Exe in my uninstall list. If you have more than this you should uninstall the unwanted ones rather than delete them.

The key is kept in the registry and I think it is left there even after uninstalling so it should be possible to uninstall every version and re-install the latest version without loosing the registration information. Keep a copy just in case :rolleyes:

Make sure you update the .ini file to whatever is required in the new version (I think the options are turned on by default in this release).

Hope this makes sense and helps.

Hi Dave,

I'd agree with Mikel and Bart. I have a P2E folder and a Beta folder on my HD. I tell the unzip to over write the last file and all works fine, even the desk top shortcut. I don't pretend to be a computer buff so I will only download the betas to see the new toys :D. With this new version we can dump all previous vertions as we now have the 3 view options :) . The only thing not supplied by Igor & co. is the inspiration :( .

Alan