WnSoft Forums

Off topic concerning audio to CD

lathompson

I have a pile of older royalty free music, all recorded on cassettes. To record every cut separately, render as music files and finally put on to CD-ROM is a nightmare in time to completion. Currently, I use ACID Music to do my simple audio tracs one at a time, but it or any of the other audio copiers that came with my computer, cannot deal with my problem.

My problem is: what program in the cheaper range of pricing can take a single WAV or MPG3 file containing the complete copy of one side of a cassette tape and split it down into separate cuts? Can anyone point me to a program that can do this well?

Larry

Several years I converted lots of vinyl and tapes to digital. At the time I used a program called AudioGrabber. I noticed that it is currently a free download and is located here:

AudioGrabber

This software was primarily used for ripping CDs but it also has a line-in sampling mode. In this moded you connect your tape deck to the line-in of your sound card. You placed AudioGrabber in Line-In Sampling mode. As I recall this mode lets you select the sensitivity of detecting a track change from the tape. It worked pretty decent. It automatically broke the tape or record up into tracks and converted the tracks to individual MP3s. It's been several years since I used it...but for free it's worth a try. When I used it...it wasn't free and I still have a licensed version on my computer.

When MP3's were young this was the cadillac software...very well written and bug free.

Another piece of software that I own and still use is GoldWave. Their site is here:

GoldWave

This software has been around for a very long time and in my opinion it is still the best sound wave editor out there....but it's about $50US. It will strip the sound directly from about anything including AVIs and MPEG movies. I am not sure if it will automatically detect the tracks....but I know it will read in the whole side of a record or tape and you can manually break it up and incode individual MP3s. It will keep the wave file on hard disk or in memory if you have enough. I still use this software quite often and know that it is excellent and my older version has always been bug free for me.

I think AudioGrabber would be worth a try.

Ken

:D

Thanks Ken!

I'll download both and play with them. Since posting, Ive tried a couple of others I picked up googling but they were either buggy or just too teckie for me.

Looks like you've solved my problem. I'll let you know if it works for me.

Larry :D

Hi Larry,

another you might try is Audio Cleaning Lab Deluxe 3.0. This was written to do what you want i.e. copy vinyl/ tape to digital. It has a full clean up section and can be set to recognise silence as track gaps and mark the tracks. I have used it to make CD copies of lod vinyl and even 78rpm discs! You simply connect your player to your sound card, test for level, press record, and stand back. You can then save as CD audio mp3 wav ect.

it is now poping up in the bargain sections of software shops but have a look at www.magix.com

Alan

RIPVINYL is the pick of the litter. It is just perfect. No fuss, no muss. I can let a cassette play through one side and automatically play the next side without touching anything. It recorded and split alll tracks and totally ignored the inbetween silence.

They even have a version that will allow you to play a 78 rpm record on a 45 rpm turntable and it will automatically adjust the speed. This little $7 program is a gem.

Also... Igor, that 4.3 version of P2E is a clear winner! Amazing where you've come from since 2002!

Larry