WnSoft Forums

PTE Installers for HD

jimlarkey

Wonder if any in the group could suggest a simple, cheap, and elegant installer?

My latest show was having difficulties (stuttering music) running on my Sony CRX100E 24X drive. Show works OK on hard drive (HD). Show works OK on my other Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-M1212 (32X, CD only) drive. Big difference between 24X & 32X! My concern is that other users will have difficulties with their CD drives, and I'd like the option of installing and running exe's off the HD.

All my shows use nested subroutines, so I always have 6-8 exe modules, only one of which initiates the show. Transferring to other routines (exe's) and and looping, exiting is controlled by the user in the show with object screens.

Does anyone know of a cheap and simple to use installer/uninstaller for running PTE shows on HD? I've used a not too elegant method currently.....creating a bat file (you DOS users from the stone-age, remember batch file programming?) which does copy the 6-8 exe's and intiates the run of the single start exe. However, I'd like something more elegant for Windows environment that (1) will creat a desktop icon, (2) allow the user to uninstall those files (3) allow me to control the setup process. I don't want the user to be concerned with which of the 6-8 files he should run, or which to copy. I want the install/uninstall process to be automatic and transparent to the user. Besides, I'm not really sure that WinXP will run a bat file that I created (I'm currently running Win98SE :-)

I've looked at the Inno installer ( http://www.innosetup.com/ ) that some previous PTE posters.....too complicated for simply copying and running a file. Inno looks very comprehensive and allows register editting, but the PTE "installation" is only a copy and execute process. Very simple that a few batch file lines can accomplish.

Are there any other cheap installers out there can be easily programmed to make the install/run/uninstall automatic to the user?

Thanks in advance, and Cheers!

Ken, I'm pretty sure my problem is with the slow data transfer rate of the CD-ROM drive. My exe file sizes range from a few MB to 60 or so MB, so it takes time for the drive to catch up. Running off the HD works great.

Regarding Multishow, it doesn't do the trick with nested shows....too much burden on the user to select what to copy, and which exe to run. Prefer installer that is less burden and more transparent to the user.

Thanks for your post, and I'll keep looking.

Cheers,

Jim,

If you use "MultiShow" for only one show user have to do nothing. Show is automatically copied to HD, run from HD, and removed.

Why not try it ?

Or try my "TempCD" (new version from today) which you will find here.

But if you will insist, tell me exactly what you need and I'll try to make a utility for that.

:P Granot

Just a short one to say that I've had success with the Inno Setup compiler ( http://www.jrsoftware.org/ ), and to thank all who have offered help.

I've been working with the setup script for the past few days, using several of the examples given with this freeware. When I finally was familiar with the language, and began my first setup for my PTE show, I was surprised to find Inno has a wizard which pretty well simplifies the scripting, especially for the simple needs of installing PTE files on a HD.

The Inno Setup gave me an installer that allows me to control the setup, automatically copying 8 exes to HD, and automatically executing only one and only one of them. It presents a familiar installer "face" to user, giving him confidence that his HD won't be wiped out (unlike my primitive bat file). It's an elegant "Windows environment" program that allows the user to uninstall the PTE show through the typical Windows "Settings>Uninstall Software". And the best part is that it is cheap....free!

So if you've tried Inno but have beeen discouraged by the setup script language, don't forget to try their wizard. Really works great for the simple tasks associated with PTE.

ps Thanks to nobeefstu for his post last year, suggesting Inno and others

( http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums//index...&t=1381&hl=inno )

Cheers,