WnSoft Forums

Weak soundtracks

Guest guru

I always see all PTE presentations and shows (ok, almost all...) published on Beechbrook site or on Michel's Fanaphot. I don't want here to judge them; but I noticed a problem common to most of them: the soundtrack, too often uncared.

Many times the soundtrack is only used to "fill the silence", and has no real connection with pictures. And many times it is neglected, with sound level casually set: lately I saw several shows with "weak" soundtracks, recorded at too low levels.

But it's so simple to adjust the sound level! If you use Audacity, the absolute "best buy" (it's an excellent sound editor, and it is free!), you must select all your sound file and click on "Effect" > "Amplify". You'll see an amplification value (in dB) which is the maximum allowed before the "clipping" (distorted) level. Don't do anything, click on "OK" and you'll have your soundtrack at its best recording level, that is the maximum playing volume.

Of course, if you want to intentionally achieve some special effect, you can set a lower amplification... but in most cases you'll get the optimum sound level.

Hi Guido,

Didn't see your name for a long time. I have to thank you for recommending "Audacity" in this forum many years ago (you probably don't remember...ha.. you

are still older than me ;) ) and I listen to your advice and using it all the time.

Now I use it to record 2000 sentences in Thai for my English-Thai dictionary.

Thank you for that recommandation

Granot

Hi Guido,

I agree with what you say, as we said before audio visual is at it's best when 1=sound, and 1= pictures, and when 1 + 1 = 3. A great set of images can be ruined by a poor soundtrack, just as a great soundtrack can be ruined by poor images. When you hear the wonderful sounds created in the days of cassette or even reel to reel the sound editors make it so easy to be right, that we should try harder.

As I have said before, people are very proud to tell you they are always learning in photography, but if you cannot teach them all about sound in an afternoon they want their money back. :o

Regards,

Alan.

Audacity is definitely the best of the freeware audio tools..perfect for preparing your PTE music. On a related theme--I have some MIDIS that I use from time to time but as you probably know many of the slide show making software can't handle that format so I found a handy converter that will allow you to convert the Midis into MP3s or WAVs and then you can use them just about anywhere. Of course the file size increases a bit from the tiny Midi but it's not too bad and you can select the MP3 bit rate to convert to. Midi-sounding tunes aren't suitable all the time because they're so, er, basic but there are some shows that need just a few simple notes added to them here and there and for this they can work well. I been using the trial version and it operates well and easily, it could be a handy tool for some.

http://www.midconverter.com/

Regards to all,

Jim.

Some time ago it was suggested that there be a separate section in the Forum for discussion of AV production techniques such as storyboards, soundtrack, location recording, voice-overs, the 'third' image and the general processes involved in production - the more creative aspects - away from the technical/software discussions.

This received considerable support, but then seemed to go 'dead', presumably due to the lack of someone to take it forward and establish such a useful and informative area of discussion.

Is there still support and who among the experienced 'experts' would be willing ( and able ) to establish such a forum?

DEN (NE UK)