WnSoft Forums

auto run

cherrybee

:D Hi I am new.I have had pictures to exe for quite sometime but have never used it.Well i made a new slide show of pictures of my new grandaughter>I wanted to put it on cd and for it to auto run.I followed instructions on how to write an autorun file but must have done it wrong,it wouldnt work.I then put auto run in a search engine and found a free program and downloaded it.It was very simple and now my cd autoruns.I am so pleased with it I thought it maybe useful for others

Here is the addy

http://www.ashzfall.com/products/autorun/

Hi Cherrybee,

Welcome to the forum.

In future if you need such an 'addie' try the site of Boxig first. His site is for all of us a very rich source of extremely useful (and mostly free) applications which work really fine with Pictures to Exe. Including a very simple to use Autorunmaker :rolleyes:

This is the link to his site:

http://www.thailandphotoalbum.com

Take a look at it, maybe you'll find some more stuff you can use!

I second that suggestion! Boxig has some wonderful utilities available. I use his 'Autorun' all the time for my CD's and I can recommend the 'Remind me' utility - a sort of alarm clock that plays some music (of your choice) at a pre-selected time. Very useful!

Ron West

Hi EZ,

Yes, you must always use the full name of the program or icon. Some computers hide the extensions for known programmes so you can easily be mistaken in the full name of the programm. You can change that setting in the mapoptions under advanced. Activate the option to always show extensions.

So in your case the autorun should say:

[autorun]

open=Jessica Lee Show.exe

icon=Jessica Lee Show.ico

Mind you, it is always better to use one word for the name of your show, or use underscores. There are systems which have problems with the whitespace between words.

Also beware that your autorunfile (which needs to have the name autorun.inf) is in the root of the cd. Not in a folder. The show and icon should also be in the root. Don't forget to add the actual icon picture to the cd because even if you have used it as icon within the P2E show it is needed to provide the icon next to the driveletter of your cd.

There are lots of programs you can use for making icons. Some of them are free, for example Irfanview which I use. You can make an icon out of practically any image you want, but you have to keep a few things in mind:

PTE only works with pictures of 16x16 or 32x32 pixels. I use the last format.

The picture must have a maximum of 256 colors, so it cannot be to detailed.

You can resize the picture in Irfanview, then use the batchprocessing option to save it as a .ico file with limiting the colors.

This file you need on your cd if you want an icon next to your drive letter.

When I talk about the root of the cd I mean you must not make a folder and put the autorun in it. For example:

Your show is called Jessica Lea.exe, your icon is called Jessica.ico and you have a autorun.inf. If you burn it like this on your cd everything is oké. All files are in the root.

But if you make a folder called Show and you make a folder called Files, and then put the Jessica Lea.exe in the folder Show, and the autorun.inf in the folder Files, then you have a problem! Seems like a structured way of working, but I shouldn't advice it.

Guest Techman1

Ez48,

As Marianne states, it is better to create your actual executable file name as simply as possible. In your case, you might call it "Jessica.exe". Regarding the autorun.inf file, I typically don't create a custom icon for my shows and let the default PTE icon show up. In the autorun file, you don't even have to specify an "icon=" statement at all. If you named your executable as stated above, your autorun file would look like this:

[autorun]

open=Jessica.exe

Then on your CD, you could simply copy only the following two files to the root (no subdirectories):

Jessica.exe

Autorun.inf

That's all it would take to make this show run properly on almost any Windows based PC.

I this helps a little bit more. Good luck and welcome to the forum!

Fred