WnSoft Forums

Moving and finding PTE projects

Alanweb

I believe, from reading posts on beta versions, that PTE is supposed to have the ability to locate photos after moving them somewhere else, different from the original location. As an example. if I create a slide folder called C:\slides, and later move that folder to C:\work\slides, how do I get PTE to find the photos without relinking every single one? As I stated, I believe PTE has this function now, but I cannot figure out how to get PTE to locate the original photos that have been moved. I have a number of slideshows that I would like to rework, but the photos have all been moved and I'd like an easy solution to helping PTE locate them. Can anyone give me a primer on this?

Alan

The new feature doesn't mean you can just move a PTE project file to another folder and have everything follow along, or move your image files to another folder. What it does provide is the ability to create a folder for a project, have sub-folders for images and music and PTE project file, and then move the whole main folder to another drive and have the project adjust to the new drive specs. Nice feature!

Now if one drive fills up, you just move the whole kit and kaboodle to another and everything will still be fine. No need to have the PTE project file in the same folder as images and music. Thanks, Igor! :)

CC,

Thank you very much. Putting the PTE file in the moved folder allows PTE to find all the files again, that is exactly what I needed to know. It works perfectly doing it that way and I appreciate your knowledge on that.

And Al, thank you for explaining the feature that I misunderstood.

Alan

What is this new feature that you are all talking about here? It sounds interesting, can somebody please explain (in some detail) what it is, where it is and whhat it does please.

How does it differ from the 'Template' option?

Ron

What is this new feature that you are all talking about here?  ... How does it differ from the 'Template' option?

Ron,

It's a new feature that Igor has added in the new beta version whereby we can now move a PTE project to a new drive, for instance, without worrying about the project being able to find the images and music files due to changes in their pathnames. No need to have all files in the same folder.

In the template option, you have to create a "template" in the file menu, which puts all the images, music files, and project file in the same directory.

How do I access this new feature - where is it?

Ron,

It's part and parcel of the new beta - you get it without accessing it. Just use it. I quote from my first post in this thread:

create a folder for a project, have sub-folders for images and music and PTE project file, and then move the whole main folder to another drive
:)