WnSoft Forums

Managing Photo's on Disc

Ronniebootwest

Like many other members of this forum, I have accumulated thousands of photographs on my hard drives and I have now reached the point where I need to get organised with my filing system because finding the image I really want is becoming very difficult.

I wonder what system other members are using to keep track of everything? I have tried a few methods now and none seem to do what I want them to do. I need to 'track' the status of each image from when I first load it onto my computer to when I archive it to a CD/DVD, e.g. Raw image; Edited image; Resized for PTE; Ready for sale; Sold: Archived. I also want to be able to find images by classification, e.g. Portrait; Landscape; Holidays; etc. It is also important to be able to find an individual image quickly (by keywords).

Any ideas or suggestions?

Ron

drop a note to "slugman" -- he is using a French database program and when i last talked with him he was quite enthused with it

quote from James

Wednesday, January 26, 2005 7:10 PM

Re-organizing my print catalog (lost a drive and it

was ugly). Cool little proggy I found lets me

batch-edit the comment fields on images (IPTC fields

they're called) and creates a cool database that

allows quick retrieval based ion keywords, dates, etc.

jslugman@yahoo.com

www.kalimages.com

ken

I personally use a free french software, Renomme from François-Pierre Langlois, wich makes use of EXIF informations to rename the jpeg files.

It is in french but very friendly and intuitive to handle with.

I then save my photos on a CD or a DVD and catalog them with a very very basic, old (1999 !!!) and free software CatFish

If it can be of some help :rolleyes:

I have found IMatch by "Photools" (US $60) a very good thumbnail database for keeping track of and finding images on a hard drive and/or CD's. "ACDSee" is also good, but I think I prefer IMatch, based on a crude comparison between the two. Plus, I am more familiar with IMatch.

In IMatch, you can theoretically even draw a sketch and ask the database to find all photos similar to it.

I have successfully searched for other photos on the basis of similarity to a chosen image.

It also updates the database quickly if any changes are made or new images added to any of the folders represented in the system.

After getting it set up and learning how to use it, I couldn't live without it, especially when it comes to finding images on various backup CD's and DVD's.

Hi

Like Alrobin I have used Imatch by Photools, and also ACDsee. Another useful program is SmartPix by Xequte Software. Each of these uses catalogue systems and can allow for back-up also. Imatch is probably the most powerful but ONLY if you are prepared to learn and use scripting - when it's full potential is released. The development of Imatch is being slowed however by issues to do with RAW image data files as many of the users of this program are pro photographers. The latest version of ACDsee is a complete re-write I believe of version 6 which was horribly bloated.

There is a French program called Armadillo Photomedia - but while it seems to offer considerable cataloguing power the English translation seems quirky to say the least and does not make for an easy experience.

Alrobin,

Now this sounds interesting! I will take a look at this program.(is there a trial download?)

I have also been advised that another program called 'Extensis Portfolio' is worth a trial. It cost about $200 though.

I downlaoded 'Imatch' and also 'Portfolio' and spent most of the weekend playing with both.

I have concluded that Imatch is Ok but it does require a bit of knowledge about scripting and so makes it a bit of a learning curve. Portfolio, on the otherhand, requires no such knowledge and I found it so easy to set up and use. It is twice the price of Imatch but it does include some very useful functions (such as the ability to keep your main hard drive files in synch with the catalog). It handles many thousands of pictures and has no trouble at all with 'Raw' files. It also copes extremely well with music files (mp3 & wav).

I reckon that I will register Portfolio, but first I am going to the 'Focus on Imaging' show at the Birmingham NEC (UK) on the 27th Feb, to check on the lastest offerings.

Watch this space and I will post my review on 'Image Management' at a later date.

Hi Ron,

I would be interested in hearing your final opinion on Portfolio. I have used Cumulus ( Portfolio and Cumulus are the two main players in DAM software) for over two years.

I cannot recommend Cumulus as I feel it has always been targeted at large organisations rather than individual photographers eg very slow to deal with RAW format until very recent releases, long learning curve, etc.

The search facilities in Cumulus are however excellent as is the cataloguing process itself which is complex but very flexible.

The two features that have kept me with Cumulus despite all its problems are:

You can make a single change to the data across multiple images. This makes life much easier but it is a feature often absent from competitor products.

The user defined fields are very flexible. You can set a default value for a user defined field. You can also make them drop-down list fields where only a set number of options are available. This is far superior to user defined fields that are free text because drop down lists enforce consistency.

I would be interested to hear how the latest version of Portfolio handles these issues.

You may find the Extensis forum (I think there is one) to be very revealing. Spending a bit of time on the Cumulus forum reveals most of the glitches - the kind you don't find until after you have bought the software! - I doubt I would have purchased Cumulus had the forum been available at that time.

Malcolm

Hello Malcolm, Thanks for your response and the suggrestion about reading any forum about Portfolio.

I haven'd any information about Cumulus, so I am unable to comment. However I will look on their website before finally deciding on any software.

1. Please give me an example of where you might want to 'batch enter' data corrections on multiple images.

2. The drop down list feature sound useful, I am not sure what Portfolio has to offer yet, but will certainly look into IT,

Keep in touch!

Ron

Hi Ron,

I find batch changing data crops up all the time. I use it routinely for example to change a user defined field ("status") that allows me to follow the progress of a batch of images as the editing process continues over several weeks (or months!).

It also allows me to change my mind fairly easily over the catalogue structure. I can create a new user defined field then batch select older images to set the field accordingly. (I have found there is a limit of approx 200 to the number in the batch on my PC - suspect it is a RAM issue.)

The difference in practice is similar to when P2Exe introduced the ability to customise multiple slides at the same time. It made a lot of things feasible that would have been simply too time consuming before.

As I said I cannot recommend Cumulus - it is too long a learning curve for most photographers. If you have a programming background it is easier to learn though and you can now extend the functionality by writing Java add-ons.

Last time I looked I got the impression that most folk on the Cumulus forum felt that Portfolio was the better product but that it was significantly more expensive than a single user licence for Cumulus.

Malcolm

I have now had a look at the 'Cumulus' management system and my first re-action is that it is a confusing program. Am I right in thinking that you need to purchase the base program and then another add-on to be able to process and manage 'RAW' images?

The example you give for batch processing your 'status' changes seems a little over complicated. In Portfolio you simply highlight the images within a gallery and then drag the status that you require (previously determined by the user) over them. Very simple and extremely quick!

As for the cost, well you get what you pay I reckon. The cost for a licence with Portfolio is $230 (USA Dollars) which equates to £110 (Sterling). I think that is reasonable for what the program offers. I am still evaluating this program but I am 95% certain that I will buy it soon.

Ron

Hi Ron,

Cumulus support for RAW format was very late in coming and is currently patchy. With Cumulus you almost always have to licence the base product and the plug-ins you require for your purpose. I believe you are correct that RAW falls into that category - I do not have the latest version to confirm.

The ability to batch is a good feature but obviously I chose an example "status" that is included as a standard field in Portfolio. To evaluate Portfolio you will have to select a field that is user defined in Portfolio and establish how easily you could set that field for say 50% of the images in your catalogue. My own experience is that the flexibility of catalogue software in making retrospective changes is important.

Portfolio seemed pretty good to me the last time I looked at it. On the basis of the prices you quote I suspect that it has decreased in price since I looked and it seems good value now.

Happened to come across this post in the Cumulus forum from a member who has both Cumulus and Portfolio and I have quoted from it below:

["I also have Portfolio 7 and have to say that it is far superior in terms of stability, interface, ease of use, customer orientation and anticipation of customer needs - although I prefer Cumulus and bought it because of the power which 'appeared to be under the hood' plus the fact that I personally find the nested categories very useful. I am a nature photographer and I set up categories with subcategories covering various species i.e. Insects|Butterflies|Fritilleries|Peacock etc. which makes it very easy to find what I need without searching.

HOWEVER - I am beginning to lose patience with this software and with the company who seem to care very little about their customers and their needs. Years ago I worked for a software company whose developers had the attitude "what do they want to do that for" whenever they were asked for new features to meet customer needs. Canto seem to suffer from the same problem."]

Thought you may find his view interesting and as I said before my impression is that most photographers (as opposed to DAM companies) share his opinion.

Malcolm

Does anyone have any experience with "Picassa"? It's a new free image management system by Google. Search features and updating are very fast as one would expect. Not sure I fully understand the "folder" system they use, though.

Al,

I have been using it off and on for about 4 months. I think it is very quick to view my pictures.

It's nice to open one program and scroll through all my pictures. It has a nice slider bar like

PTE so I can make my thumbnails larger or smaller.

What I don't like about it, is it only does the files on your HardDrive.

I hope they add the ability to do CD's collections too, in future release.

cc

I am sold on Extensis Portfolio now!

All these other 'freebie' image management programs are fine, if all you want is a basic viewer. but if you want to be able to really manage your images (on the hard drive and on backup or archived CD/DVD'a, then you will need a good database type of program. Portfolio does everything from downloading your images from flashcard to archiving (burning) to CD/DVD. It also keeps track of your images on CD/DVD even though you may have deleted the original file from your hard drive - this is magic!

Thanks for all of your interest in this thread, I hope that you have all found it useful.

Ron West

I did a quick search with google re their picasa picture thing

does not look promising by these results

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=google...le+Search&meta=

i got burned with spyware when i installed the full blown toolbar option so wanted to see comments on this new offering - sounds like it is the same

ken