WnSoft Forums

Art of Jon Stuart Anderson

Lin Evans

I had the opportunity to make a slide show for a client on the Fiore Polymer Clay art of Jon Stuart Anderson. Jon is world renowned as an artist and considered the best at the Fiore process. Fiore Polymer Clay begins life as a colored piece about the size of a large loaf of bread. These are called "canes". The artist fabricates an intricate design as a sculpture would then stretches the clay over and again until the designs are tiny - some almost microscopic. The long piece of art is then sliced like pickle chips with a surgical scalpel and the intricate tiny "tiles" of design are pressed on a wooden or clay model. This model with hundred and even thousands of tiny polymer "tiles" is then baked and the polymer tiles expand to form a contiguous design of intricate detail and exquisite beauty.

In the case of Jon's art the clay models used as a base are "spirit" animals, birds, fish, etc. Glass or polymer eyes, etc., are affixed and the object is finished with an ultra fine grit abrasive until it's as smooth as a piece of glass.

There is absolutely no paint on Jon's art. Each piece of the intricate design is colored polymer clay. The finished pieces are relatively expensive and highly collectible as art. Each year Jon produces two new animals but this year only one - the buffalo (American Bison). The art objects range in size from about 1.5 inches to six inches and for snakes around 14 inches.

Here's a link where you can download the slideshow with background music. It's nothing complex, just an example of how P2E can be used in conjunction with my photos of the art and PhotoShop, etc., to produce a tribute to this artist.

Click on the link below and download the file "andersonart.ex" One you have the file, rename it to "andersonart.exe" and it will run. I had to drop the "e" from the file extension to satisfy my server's requirement for no executable files resident. About 10 megabytes so broadband suggested....

Best regards,

Lin

http://www.lin-evans.net/shows/andersonart.ex

• 3 weeks later...

Lin, the word "genius" doesn't seem magnificent enough for this man's creations.

You have done a masterful job of displaying it. The music was perfect.

I have done just a tiny bit of work with Fimo so I have an understanding of how the colors are arranged, and I am overwhelmed by his craftsmanship and artistry.

Guess you did a REAL good job of showing it off!

Isabel

Hi Ken, Isabel,

Thanks - it's nice to get back here and catch up on all the fantastic improvements Igor has made in P2E! It's definitely become "the" slideshow program in my opinion....

Isabel, glad you enjoyed the show. Jon's art is without a doubt something to behold. I'm absolutely astounded each time I examine a new piece. I used to use a strong magnifying glass to view it, but now I just photograph it so I can enjoy all the intricate details and wonder at the patience his technicians in Bali must have to assemble it all.