WnSoft Forums

Computer output to TV

lathompson

For some time now, we have produced slideshows for proofs and use an ATI Radeon, 7500 video board in our computer, which puts out an SVHS signal to a monitor so we can see how our TV output looks. Today, I moved the computer system to another room, hooked everything up exactly the same and booted up. the TV output worked but with one exception... The desktop was showing but without the icons! Opening P2EXE (or any other program, for that matter) there was no change, just the desktop minus the icons. I reloaded the ATI Radeon drivers, uninstalled and reinstalled... same thing. I would have thought it totally impossible for the desktop to be displayed and have the icons missing. Seems like output is output.

Can anyone shed any light on this? This computer was doing just fine minutes before the dismount and relocating it. I've scoured various forums and newsgroups and ATI's support is totally worthless for help.

Larry T :angry:

Well, a restoration did not work. I might point out Ken, there is nothing wrong with my computer's display... It is the TV monitor that the video board is outputing to that doesn't show the icons! And if I open a folder, it doesn't display on the monitor either. The monitor simply shows my wallpaper. I should say that the monitor shows all the actions of the computer from bootup (dos) and works fine as the black "Windows loading" screen comes up. Then, as the desktop starts to come up, the monitor and the computer's CRT display as previously mentioned.

I'm totally lost here.

Update: The problem is fixed.

I went to device manager and removed the ATI Radeon display device finding it installed twice. I removed both. Then rebooted and allowed Windows to find and reinstall the drivers on it's own as opposed to using the installation disc. When it did, I had everything back to normal again. Only problem I have now is a damned beep everytime I click the mouse. Wish it were quite again.

It was the Radeon with the problem and how it got that way, we cannot figure out. The fix brought everything back to default and I had to reset my monitor's properties but when done, everything was back to normal.

I love it when a plan comes together... (somebody famous said that once)

Larry T

Apparently the mouse click sound is not part of the sounds controlled within the Control panel's options. I searched the sounds for the mouse and didn't find any... I'm sure it's there somewhere. Wonder why this came up during this stupid video board problem? Oh, well...