WnSoft Forums

Recording with a microphone

Hi all,

I posted this reply to an earlier thread, but nobody seems to have read it yet, so I am posting again here because I am keen to hear about your experiences with recording with a microphone.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am interested to learn about all experiences with recording with a microphone, using the Audigy 2 ZS Platinum (this is the external box type) I have just had one installed on my computer and now find that I cannot record 'voice' at all well. There seems to be 2 problems,

1. When I use the mike socket on the front panel, I have to turn up the gain to almost maximum.

2. When I plug into either of the two 'line inputs' I get a terrible hum from the speakers. I have checked the obvious, i.e grounding of the connected equipment and still the hum persists. I never had this problem with my previous card which was the first Audigy 2 that was released.

While on this subject, can I ask for advice on the make of 'mike' (headset type) I should buy for this new card. I don't mind paying the price for a 'good' one.

Ron West

Thanks for your responses. I have had a look at the 'Trust' web site and cannot see what I need. I have mentioned that I want a good quality HEADSET microphone, i.e. one that only has a mike and NOT headphones.

Ron

For:- Ronnie Boothwest

Hi Ron,

We went down this road some weeks ago and I thought you had been sorted out ?

Your request will lead many contributors on a 'wild goose chase' in an effort to help you,

the reason being that your enquiry is "too general and no data given" ~

Type

It appears that you want a:- Head-Boom Microphone- not a Headset Mic.

1) Do you require a Mono or Stereo Microphone ?

2) What Impedance do you require..20-100ohm, 100-200ohm, or 200-600ohm or Higher ?

3) What Connector is needed...3.5mm.MiniJack..or..¼"Inch Mono Jack...or Stereo Jack or Din Plug ?

The above are dictated by the requirements of your Sound Card Module

Performance ?

4) What Application is needed:-General Purpose...or...Directional...or...Anti-Noise ?

5) Will this be used for Speech Communications...or...Singing Voice ?

6) Will this be a Wired Connector Product...or...Radio-Link Product ?

I'm sorry if this sounds daunting, but the "Data" is needed to make a proper selection !!

In the world of Mic Technology, there are at least 10 Generic-Electrical Types of Mic and some

10-20 Application Specifics for each type.

You will need to "READ THE SOUND CARD MANUAL" and come up with the data prior to any selection.

Brian.Conflow.

Hello Brian,

Wow! your post is certainly detailed (and daunting) I really am not a technical person and most of what you say leaves me quite cold.

I make tutorial CD's on my computer and need the microphone for just that purpose. The standard mike that came with the computer works well enough but it is of the 'desktop' type and I have to keep my head in one position all the time so that my mouth faces the microphone. It also tends to pick up a lot of ambient noise (particularly the computer fans)

I just want to be able to wear the mike on my head so that I have freedom of movement. It also needs to be able to cut out ambient noise (directional)

As far as impedence is concerned, I have read the Creative documents and they are not very specific. The Soundcard that I am using is the Creative Audigy 2 Platinum ZS Pro.

Oh! by the way, I reckon that a mono mike connected with a standard jack plug will be fine.

Does any of that help?

Ron West

For:-Ron West (From:-BK)

O.K Ron,

You need a:- Mono-Directional & Anti-Noise Headboom Mic. With an Anti-Pop Screen.

This is necessary to reduce:- Breathing Noise - Sibilence - Ambients - and Pop Noise arising from

such words as: Billy,Brian,Freddie,Dump,Duff, etc,etc....

Now for that missing "Data"

You will need to contact 'Support at Audity' and give the Model & Serial No. of your Sound Card.

Ask the following questions:-

1) What 'Impedance Mic' does the Card require ?

3) Whats the 'Output Millevolts' of the recommended Mic ?

4) What Connector is recommended ?

Once we have that, I can suggest a number of Mics (available in UK) that will do the job.

Brian.Conflow.

Hi Brian,

Here is the reply I had from Creative:

---------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Ron

Thank you for emailing to Creative Technical Support.

About your issue,

Here would be the minimum specs of that you require.

MIC IN: 10 - 200 mV input range

600 ohms impedance

Mono input

To:- Ron Boothewest (Data Recvd)

Got the 'data' - however they failed to say what type of ¼" Jack is used ?

Is it a 2-Pole Jack...ie:- With Tip & Sleeve ?

or

A 3Pole Jack...ie:- With Tip,Ring & Sleeve ?

I need to know this because the former is a 2 Wire Mic Cable with + and Screen -

The latter being a 3 Wire Mic Cable with + and - and Screen.

I can also see the current Mic problem where the Sound Card suffers from Low Sensitivity.

Most 600 Ohm Mics only have 2-3 Millevolt Output - whereas their minimum requirement is

10 Millevolt Input, consequently you have to really wind up the wick (not good)

I have already selected a couple of Mics that will do the job, but I need to know what type

of ¼" Jack is needed.

Brian.Conflow.

I am not sure how to recognise the type of jack you are talking about.

At the moment I use the mike that came with the computer, that is a stereo connection via a 3.5 plug and I just use a converter plug to make it fit the normal (stereo) jack.

I think that I would prefer a stereo mike anyway!

Ron

For:- Ron West

Ron,

If you review your Post No: 925 above it states that its a ¼" Jack Mono-Input. 600 Ohm Mic.

Will you please confirm these details ? as you have me quite confused concerning the Mic Adaptor you're using.

If its a ¼" Jack Mono-Input, you can't use a Stereo Mic neither can you use a Stereo 3.5mm ~ ¼" Mono Adaptor. Perhaps its a 3.5mm Mini-Jack ~ ¼" Standard Jack Adaptor.

All thats needed is to confirm the Wiring Arrangement of the "Mono Jack Input"

Is it a 2 Wire Standard ¼" Jack (Tip & Sleeve) or is it a 3 Wire Standard (Tip,Ring & Sleeve) ?

Brian.Conflow.

I do not know where Creative got the idea that I need a 'mono' mike - I have always had a 'stereo connection. Before I installed the Audigy sound card, the onboard card was a stereo connection via a standard 3.5 plug and everything worked fine with the usual stick type mike supplied with the computer.

When the audigy 2 card was fitted, there is an external module that houses all of the connections to the computer. The mike input is a 1/4 jack (stereo). I still use my normal mike via a standard converter plug.

All I want to do is have a mike that I can wear on my head instead of my current mike which is of the desktop variety. I just thought that I could get one that would provide a better sound quality and have some directional abilty to cut out the sound from the ambient noises in the room.

Ron

Ron

i use a pair of

cyber acoustics ac 401

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/sea...&sku=C375-AC401

but i have had to ramp back the mike slider in the mixer control in the task bar location and adjust the volume on the headset volume control to stop the hum and unchecked the mike boost box in the advanced settings

i use a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS

http://www.soundblaster.com/products/produ...04&product=4915

now that Yahoo and MSN a getting more stable,Hawk and i talk on yahoo or msn frequently - it also helps if you can work with some one while making your adjustments or

make small recordings to yourself either with your camera/mike to see how sucessful your sound settings are

or

another proggie i use for this is

http://www.handybits.com/voicemail.htm

it is free and has a great compressor so your resulting file is not large

quick and simple

ken

Hi Ron...Lets get back to simple basics:-

a) Unknown to you - 98% of all Mics supplied with PCs' are Mono-Mics fitted with a 3.5mm Mini-Stereo Jack Plug.

B)The Mono-Mic is wired as a 'Stereo-Mic' ~ Within the PC its signal is split equally between Left & Right Channels.(Its not Stereo)

c) The Problem arises because some Sound Card Manufacturers provide a genuine 'Stereo-Mic Input' with Stereo-Mic PreAmp.

Now,the thorny Question again...

Is the Audigy Mic Input a Mono-Input with a Mono-Jack Plug or a Stereo-Input with a Stereo-Jack Plug ??

Please copy and send this Post to Audigy and get an answer I don't want to recommend a Mic to you and then find out that it doesn't work...@#$%??...not nice.

Brian.Conflow.

Hi Ken,

Thanks for your contrubution to this post. I notice that you are using the Audigy 2 ZS (same as me) Are you using the Platinum version, i.e. the one with the external control modem. It is when I use this and plug my mike in to the 'line input' on the front, that I get the problem with hum. I have done as you suggest and turned down the volume on the task bar but I cannot fine the 'advanced tab' that you refer to in order to turn off the Mike boost. Where is it please?

Ron

Brian.

I have forwarded your latest question on to Creative and will let you know what they say. I am almost certain that it is a 'STEREO' connection though. We will wait ans see :)

p.s. I tried to email you at conflow@iol.ie - it was rejected by the server.

Ron

Ron you have to double click the speaker icon in the tray to get the full panel up

send me a current email addie and i will screenshot it

RONNIEBOOTWEST@aol.com

bounces

where did your msn addie go -- it is not working either

k

Ron & Ken

Ken,

I had already looked-up the Audigy Web Site and examined the Tech.Specs for the 'Stand-Alone' version of Ronnies 'Sound Module' he is not using the Platinum Model, and for the Standard Model it simply says....Mic Input ...nothing else,no data at all.

It's the reason I asked him to get this clarified from Creative Labs ~ but many thanks for the helpful suggestion.

Ron,

Also like Ken I can't get through to you on... ronnieboothwest@aol.com ~ its being rejected by an 'Inter-Server' ~ it may be that you have your Security Settings too high, in which case it will reject 'Rich Text Format' EMails but may receive 'Plain Text ~ check same.

Brian.Conflow.